LMM: Pistons?

Andrewslmm7

Feb 27, 2013
Ct
Just going through pricing of building my motor and trying to do research on how lb7 delipped and coated pistons will hold up in a motor. I plan on carrillos keyed crank and cam a full balance and 100 overs with a dual fueler... How durable is a machined lb7 piston is it not worth taking a chance and just buy mahle pistons for 2700?

Andrewslmm7

Feb 27, 2013
Ct
Does he use mahle or lb7? My reason for asking is I want to make it as cost efficient as possible but I don't want to put a motor together I'm just going to pop

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I have been running 850 ish RWHP on my stock cut and coated pistons, most people would say they are good for 850-950 HP if you keep the temps down

Andrewslmm7

Feb 27, 2013
Ct
Is the cost of machining and buying a set of lb7 still much cheaper than a set of mahle or having fingers bowl a set. Just trying to save some money:thumb:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Arias true forged are around 1800 a set.
Mahle pistons have to high of a silicone value to me to be a true forged piston.
The higher silicone means better for daily driving on cold start ups, but reduced strength, especially in a diesel where temps are genarlly higher.
JMHO

Andrewslmm7

Feb 27, 2013
Ct
Ok thanks guys. I just don't wanna put something together that ill wish I did different but cheaper is better!

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
Do the LB7 slugs really need to be coated?

It was my understanding the coating doesnt hold up all that well over time.. could be wrong but thats what i was "told" and the cost of sending pistons out to be checked, then cut n coated plus the awesome shipping rates lately ,adds up quick.. my question is for the price why not use johns pistons?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Is the cost of machining and buying a set of lb7 still much cheaper than a set of mahle or having fingers bowl a set. Just trying to save some money:thumb:
Im running lb7 slugs deliped and coated around 900 no problem so far.

It was my understanding the coating doesnt hold up all that well over time.. could be wrong but thats what i was "told" and the cost of sending pistons out to be checked, then cut n coated plus the awesome shipping rates lately ,adds up quick.. my question is for the price why not use johns pistons?
Mine have been to 2000 on egts and i credit that to the coating.Anything that helps these pistons live longer is worth a ton in my book.OP what are your horsepower goals if your gonna stay around the 850 or lower mark just do the lb7s delip and coat.If above that i would do the cast race Mahles,DD freindly,if race only go for the forged IMO.

BTW it was not a goal to run high egts,just saying it has been there.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I have a friend that ran stock cut and coated with reliefs at around 850 range. Countless dragstrip passes and street abuse. They did great until he added nitrous. The nitrous probably bumped his power up to the 1000-1200 range and he probably got 40-50 passes out of it before he cracked one. One piston completely failed and the other 7 had cracks begining where the relief and the edge of the bowl meet. I would be comfortable running the stock cut pistons on a fuel only truck but the price would have to be way cheaper than the Fingers or the Mahle race cast, and I doubt they that much cheaper.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
For the cost difference I would not run but stock pistons again. I have done it both ways. With cutting and coating they are not much cheaper. To put in to prospective look at how much it cost to do a nice build. A few hundred dollars is not worth the potential problems that could happen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
For the cost difference I would not run but stock pistons again. I have done it both ways. With cutting and coating they are not much cheaper. To put in to prospective look at how much it cost to do a nice build. A few hundred dollars is not worth the potential problems that could happen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

X2 thats What I was trying to say.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA

Are you buying them new? If you are, the Mahle Race Cast are only about $300 more and are a much better design than the stock pistons. They come with pins, rings and clips.

Andrewslmm7

Feb 27, 2013
Ct
Are you buying them new? If you are, the Mahle Race Cast are only about $300 more and are a much better design than the stock pistons. They come with pins, rings and clips.

Yes I plan on buying new but I have seen real good deals for motors and parts on this forum as well so ill see what comes along as I'm buying. But now that it seems its better off to buy new mahle I will prob go that route the last thing I wanna do is build a motor I'm worried about hurting. Ill check out fingers to and go with whatever is cheaper/better

Andrewslmm7

Feb 27, 2013
Ct
Also why would a full forged like arias not be very street friendly also where would I buy then... More info please