piston inspection..

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Hi I have to changes my heads..since i am taking off the heads I wanted to inspect my pistons.so here's my question Do you have to take the pistons out of the cylinder, you know disconnect from the crank to physically inspect them.or can you just look at them from the top and inspect the cylinder walls? this is my first time doing this..sorry..

I also have another ??? I was thinking of rebuilding my heads myself...how much more expensive is it to just swap heads..how much are stock valves? ..I tried to research but only found racing stuff for like 1200 plus additional cost for head work..its also about 1200 to get Complete stock heads with i am guessing machine work done already?

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
How many miles are on the truck? Are you planning on pulling the motor or doing the HGs in the vehicle?

In the vehicle all you can inspect visually is the tops of the pistons and the cylinder walls if you rotate the motor over. Mostly just look for possible cracks or excessive pitting on the top of the pistons, and unusual wear on the cylinders. You will see cheetah spots on the upper portion of the cylinder, these spots are perfectly normal from the induction hardening.

No offence but if you don't know how to inspect a piston, you really shouldn't consider rebuilding your heads yourself. I would have a competent machine shop look at your heads. A normal head rebuild for a duramax would be to resurface, and depending on how much they take off you will want to have the valves recessed the same amount. You will not likely need any valves. Just have them check the the valve guide to valve stem clearances and replace guides as needed, and replace all the seals.

mechman3

no such thing as too fast
Jan 7, 2015
Saratoga Springs, Utah
I think it is awesome that you are looking to increase you knowledge and experience base by attempting this. It will be a great education. You can save a lot of money "IF" you take your time and do it right. However you can expect to pay a tuition fee in both time and some extra money. There is no greater teacher than doing it wrong. My suggestion is to go ahead. Just find a reliable source that you can talk with and maybe someone who has been there done that before to help. It can be done. Again expect things to not go as simply as you think.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Inspect pistons & tackle head gaskets on your own... Sure why not?
Rebuild your own heads nooooooo! As mentioned above, take them to a good machine shop and have them refreshed. Way to costly if you make a mistake...

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Not even worth doing heads. Get a set from Guy @ socal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
No offense taken.I appreciate everyone's opinion. I just need some help..I have a 4,000 budget.
my truck has 220,000 miles and a valve issue in cylinder #7. Ill take my heads to a shop if you guys think thats a better idea.so would you guys do a complete overhaul with this many miles? Even if the Pistons seem good.I seen some good kits online from black diamond and manhle.or should I just save for a long block..

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
X2 ^^^ does a truck usually need a valve job at this mileage? I'm in the process of doing the same thing

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Okay so if everything else checks out good ill just do a valve job .even if my truck has 220000 miles.the block should be good right even with the valve issue..would it cause a weak spot in the engine?uh would it make the piston weak in that same cylinder with the valve issue? Im gonna take take the pistons out to inspect.do you guys thinks cause of the mileage maybe I should just get a long block? I just want to prevent any problems in the future. I also heard that saying. "Dont fix it if it ain't broke"ima start pulling the motor this weekend. See what I find..thanks guys

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
As long as it wasn't hitting the piston your good. Block is fine. 220k isn't even half life. You can get it mag tested for peace of mind.

Save the money and upgrade if something does give.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk