Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
Here you go

Toyo 285/60/18

angle1w.jpg

DSC01615.jpg

I don't have just a picture of the tires them selves, but you can look at that on Toyo.com

One thing to think about and the major distinction between the two sets of tires you are looking at.

Toyo and Nitto both have very similar tread designs, the major difference is that the Toyo will last twice as long as the Nittos. I have heard many instances of the Nittos only lasting about 25k to 30k miles. I'm working on 35k and still have about half the tread life left on my Toyos.

paoutdoorsman

Duramax Fan!
Mar 27, 2009
South Central PA
Thanks!

Awesome looking ride. Could you take a closer pic of the wheel/tire combo for me?

Toyo doesn't specifically mention this on their site, but do they have any type of rim protection built into the tire?

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
Awesome looking ride. Could you take a closer pic of the wheel/tire combo for me?

Toyo doesn't specifically mention this on their site, but do they have any type of rim protection built into the tire?

Thanks, and yes the tires do have a rim protector on them. You could pretty much slam any curb you want and they won't scratch the wheels.

How much of that 35K was with that trailer in tow? I think towing my TT is harder on my rear tires than anything.

That was one of the rare times it actually pulled a trailer.:D 99.9% of my driving is totally empty. I just thought it looked cool that day with my buddies car hauler and the lighting was right so a caught that picture.

I'll get pictures up in a bit, the wheels/tires are in my basement.... Ohio winter is almost over.:rockon:

Last edited:

Pondsy

Jan 4, 2008
Plymouth, MA
Not 60 series, but will give you an idea ... Sorry don't have link I thought I did.

pics are in the garage area though.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Not 60 series, but will give you an idea ... Sorry don't have link I thought I did.

pics are in the garage area though.

These? Once you get the picture up in your garage. You can right click on the picture to get the properties and then just copy and paste :D

picture.php

picture.php

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I'll get picks up in 5 minutes.

His sig. says they are 285/65's I'm guessing on a 17.

So the width should be the same as mine, although, lots of people say that my tires look super wide compared to other 285's.

Pondsy

Jan 4, 2008
Plymouth, MA
These? Once you get the picture up in your garage. You can right click on the picture to get the properties and then just copy and paste :D

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks Kat - learn something new every day.:D

Kat, what size are those? I want a little wider tread look. Diesel Pilot's look more like what I'm going for.

Like Diesel Pilot said they are 285/65/18 so the same width as his, but a little taller sidewall. I think the taller sidewall has something do with the appearance of a wider tire - not sure.

paoutdoorsman

Duramax Fan!
Mar 27, 2009
South Central PA
Thanks for the additional pics Diesel Pilot. Just what the doctor ordered. If you don't mind, lay a tape accross them and let me know the tread width.

Nice choice in wheels by the way. Just a little piece of Weld Racing history there. Below is a pic of my new Greg Weld Designs 18x9 that I'm searching for tires for.

Thanks again! I was leaning towards the Nittos for the slightly more aggressive look, but I may just go for the Toyos now.

Attachments

• Impact.jpg
    Impact.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
No problem, I do like your wheels too.

I feel like I have to treat my wheels like solid platinum now that they are defunct. Absolutely, no winter driving at all.

10" tread and 11.5" sidewall to sidewall.

paoutdoorsman

Duramax Fan!
Mar 27, 2009
South Central PA
So I called my tire dealer to order these, and he tells me that I cannot run this tire on my truck because it is a P-Metric tire that is only 4-6 ply.

Hoping my tire shop was wrong, I called up Toyo and they concurred that this is not a LT tire and should not be installed on an HD truck. They went further to say that the 3086 lb load range is the P-metric load carrying capacity and is greatly reduced if installed on a light truck.

How many of you guys tow successfully with non LT tires (Load Index 120)?

Diesel Pilot, do those tires feel solid under your truck? Any extra wiggle when you had the big trailer on there?

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I will tell you that they felt just a strong towing as the stock tires. I have not noticed anything with these tires that would lead me to believe they dcannot handle what you trough at them.

That being said, I'm no tire expert and I can't recommend that someone tow heavy on a tire that even the manufacturer says not to. But then again there is wheel weight limits to worry about too. Honestly, you could probably find a reason not to do anything with these trucks if you ask around. I guess if you tow constantly, I mean more than 50% of the mileage on the truck. It should probably just have the stock size tires with a good tow rated tire. But how fun is that?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
the 285/65/18s will have sufficient tow rating and be wide looking on a 9 or 10" wide rim just like Craig's. Craig's wheels are 9.5" wide IIRC, that's why the tires contact patch looks so wide - that 9.5" wheel is spreading out the tire nicely.

I loved my 285/65/18s. IMO, the tire sidewall to wheel size ratio is perfect looking on that combo. Wish I still had them. May, in fact, get me some if tax return monies hold out and don't get used up on other things. :angel:

C-ya

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I like the Cooper Zeon LTZs but not sure if they make a 285/60/18??? If not, I like the Toyos better than the Nittos. Then again I'm not a poster child for seeing how long a set of tires will last :D.

Here are the Nitto Dune grapplers I ran a few years back in the same size. They went about 35k with some abuse and ocassional towing. Anyone running Dura Grapplers?

Attachments

• nitto 1.JPG
    nitto 1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 44
  • nitto 2.JPG
    nitto 2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 35

paoutdoorsman

Duramax Fan!
Mar 27, 2009
South Central PA
I like the Cooper Zeon LTZ's as well, and they do make it in a 285/60/18, however, like the Toyo A/T it is a P-metric tire, not an LT tire. I'd really like to run the Toyo's or Cooper's, but I'm concerned mainly about the lower ply sidewall and trailering stability. 85% of my trucks use is towing. Matter of fact, since it isn't camping, boating, or dirt biking weather here in PA, I haven't bought a tank of diesel fuel in 09 yet! That's all about to change next week when I latch onto to the camper and head for Myrtle Beach SC :)

CDR

Apr 19, 2009
I was wondering if you guys are fitting 285 60 18's in your stock wheel wells