LBZ: PCV reroute

eagleford hauler

Jun 11, 2013
I have a question about the reroute do you need to have the diaphram and the spring in the housing if you are doing the reroute? One of my diaphrams has a crack in it and GM wants you to buy the whole upper valve cover to get the diaphram and the spring! I get it at mechanic's discount but it is still $130 for just a spring and a diaphram.

Snowbound98

Jun 28, 2013
Chicagoland
The reroute just keeps the oil from entering the intake mouthpiece. You should still have working PCV valves. I put a cheap breather/filter on the end of the 5/8" hose so it doesn't leak oil on my driveway.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I have a question about the reroute do you need to have the diaphram and the spring in the housing if you are doing the reroute? One of my diaphrams has a crack in it and GM wants you to buy the whole upper valve cover to get the diaphram and the spring! I get it at mechanic's discount but it is still $130 for just a spring and a diaphram.

No ive had mine removed for years...just cut the plastic and shove some 5/8 hose to atmosphere

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
The reroute just keeps the oil from entering the intake mouthpiece. You should still have working PCV valves. I put a cheap breather/filter on the end of the 5/8" hose so it doesn't leak oil on my driveway.

How does installing a filter. Stop it from dripping?

Snowbound98

Jun 28, 2013
Chicagoland
Sweetdiesel- I have a little box on the end of the line with a breather on the box. The line drains any oil into the box which I will have to drain from time to time. I'm not even sure if it would help. I thought about running the line up above the engine before routing it down so any oil would drain back unless there is a lot of blow by. I just hate oil drips and spots on my driveway.

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
So im in the same boat with the PCV valves. I made some new machined aluminum caps and the diaphragms are basically wore out. The steel covers were corroded and the edges of the diaphragms are cracked and falling apart.

So do I need the diaphragm? Or if I reroute into a catch can, would it be ok without them??

eagleford hauler

Jun 11, 2013
diaphrams

The only diaphrams and springs i have found you have to buy the upper valve cover from gm. They do not sell them by themselves. Rip Off!!! My price was $120 for each upper valve cover!!!!!

eagleford hauler

Jun 11, 2013
I lucked out and found duramax at a junk yard here it was in a head on and was trashed. But the pcv diaphrams and springs were good and bought them for $10 each. A lot better than $130 after taxes for each upper valve cover!!!!!:D

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Thinking about trying this. A check valve right after the outlet on the PCV casting and then gutting the actual PCV housing. The check valve would have a 0.5PSI or less activation and then this way it still retains some pressure while at the same time eliminating the diaphragm and internal spring and valve. I would just machine up some aluminum covers to replace the rotten factory steel pieces. Would it work??????