Pay me now, pay me later... any difference in cost?

orangecrush

Dec 20, 2009
Question for you tranny guys. I'm about to do the LBZ conversion in my truck. Obviously I'm using an allison trans. Everything I have read and been told is that you can add roughly 100HP to the Duramax before you'll start to have problems with the trans.

My question to you is, is there any cost savings by building the trans now as opposed to later?

I'm assuming that the parts (ie. clutches, torque converter, etc) that would get replaced during a rebuild are the same parts getting replaced for an upgrade.

Is that safe to say? If so, I may as well drive the truck and if the tranny dies, it dies.

Thanks,

Mark

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Question for you tranny guys. I'm about to do the LBZ conversion in my truck. Obviously I'm using an allison trans. Everything I have read and been told is that you can add roughly 100HP to the Duramax before you'll start to have problems with the trans.

My question to you is, is there any cost savings by building the trans now as opposed to later?

I'm assuming that the parts (ie. clutches, torque converter, etc) that would get replaced during a rebuild are the same parts getting replaced for an upgrade.

Is that safe to say? If so, I may as well drive the truck and if the tranny dies, it dies.

Thanks,

Mark

All hard parts are extra. You decide.:D

05greendmax

dyno and drag numberssoon
Dec 26, 2009
ohio
no matter how u look at it it has to be done im gettin so board with my 100hp tune i want more hp so bad but wallet says no

orangecrush

Dec 20, 2009
Just do it now Mike wont let you down.

It will be cheaper in the long run as it wont have to come back out.

I'm gonna call him and find out what is what. I'm shipping my H2 to CA from NC next week.

The company doing the conversion bought an '07 LBZ with 44K miles. I'm hoping I can get a trans from him shipped to the shop doing the work (at least they are both in CA)

Then I could get a great tune and be done.

Thanks,

Mark

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
I'm gonna call him and find out what is what. I'm shipping my H2 to CA from NC next week.

The company doing the conversion bought an '07 LBZ with 44K miles. I'm hoping I can get a trans from him shipped to the shop doing the work (at least they are both in CA)

Then I could get a great tune and be done.

Thanks,

Mark

should make for a fun truck. what part of NC are you from?

orangecrush

Dec 20, 2009
should make for a fun truck. what part of NC are you from?

Sorry, didn't get the notification.. :confused:

Anyways, Charlotte.

Just for the record, I did buy the transmission from Mike L today. He's going to build it and ship it to my guy while the truck is in CA already.

Can't beat that....

Appreciate the advice.

Mark