painting ????

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
going to be doing some painting here soon,
truck is a 90 chevy with a 95 front end, lifted 12" with a SAS dana 44 up front and dana 60 out back 5 speed,short bed truck and a 388 small block
i have a red base layed down already,got some flakes/pearls the other day.
so my ??? is what should it look like if i use,this over top of the base. . .

fire red flakes with some candy mixed in,and a ghost red pearl over top of that.

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
I think that flake shot in a mid coat over the base then a few coats of kandy to get your desired color and clear would be sick. Shooting the pearl over the kandy would probly kill the kandy affect unless it was flames or something like that.

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
the only reason i wanted the pearl,was to give it a kinda tint change when driving down the road. . . this is my 1st time shoting pearls so i have no clue what effect it will give me,using a red pearl over a red base and flake.

so i mite just use the pearl to paint the name of the truck,and the chevy on the tail gate now that would be kinda kool

put the name on the door like this

trucks name
388 sbc ss something like that

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
Red pearl, red flake, red metallic base would look good it changes everything when you throw kandy in the mix. Seems like martin senour red pearl and dupont are more pink when shot. HOK is a nice true red.

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
well i was a cheapie found some stuff on e bay yeah i know you get what you pay for,and sents i havent sprayed any pearls i thought for ten i would give it a try. testing here i come lol i just dont wanna waste all my base and clear tryin diff combos ya know

this is the ghost pearl i got
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330536424269&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

and here is the red peal i got also
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cand...Z330528208164QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

it mite of been a waste of good money but o well i would reather spend a few $$$ to learn on then a few $$$$$ for the good stuff ya know what i mean

what does a black ghost pearl do?

Last edited:

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
It dont look like a bad product. Just shoot A few test panels to find out what shade you want. Get your local paint store to mix you a mid coat then add a lil at a time to the mid coat and in the sun with a stir stick you will be able to see how strong the shade is. Buy a qt and pour about 8 oz in a mix cup then add pearl till your happy.

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
ok this mid coat you speak of i thought i was just a clear coat with added pearls/flakes and stuff.

and one more thign i seen a black ghost pearl,what does that do,say if you shot a really light coat over a red. i think you know where this is going,im tryin to get that house of kolor candy apple red with out the big money lol

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
You can use clear for flakes and pearls but it get pricey when you figure clear,reducer,and hardner costs. A mid coat is mixed at your paint shop and is usually 20-30 a qt of sprayable it is 75% mixing clear 25% balancing solvent its kinda milky in the can but shoots clear. They also make kandy concentrate you add to a gal of clear but still have the cost of clear and goodies still cheaper than going true kandy. The black pearl is mainly used for tinting headlights and tails. I have done alot of custom paint jobs including bc/cc multi layered kandys and never saw a need for black pearl except lights.