Painting equipment?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I want to get some painting equipment. I have rattle canned plenty of things and sprayed plenty of wood work project.

What do I need to get started besides the obvious compressor, water separator?

I saw a spray gun kit with 2 full size guns. One fore primer and one for color/clear. Do I need 2 guns? I'm not going crazy on a full vehical any time soon. Nor an I in any hurry to get my project done, but I don't want to to spend a week color matching my bumper.

DeVilbiss 802343 Auto Painting/Priming Kit
https://www.amazon.com/DeVilbiss-802343-Auto-Painting-Priming/dp/B001G4ZTVE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
That's kit should be fine starting out! I have that same kit and I've sprayed gallons through both of them.
I use the 1.8 for high build 2K primers which is what you will have to do for your plastics and then the 1.3 for both color and clear.

You will be happy to have two guns especially when you clean the primer out of the 1.8 gun that stuff cures like a rock. I would get your painting consumables from TCP global stuff like
Mixing sticks
Mixing cups
Mixing funnels
Respirator
Gloves
Tack towels
Isopropyl alcohol (degreaser)
Scuff Stuff (to removed emulsifiers from plastics)
Scotch pads

Don't skimp on your regulator, Devillbiss makes a good one for a seldom painter.

Do you have a DA sander and a buffer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I agree with everything Novak said.

I have had that same Starting Line kit since I did on my 03 truck, way back in 07. I've done several jobs with it since then, it's performed well for me.

I do have a 3rd gun that I use only for clear, but it's not really necessary.

I have a couple DAs and a couple air sanding boards. (but I do the majority of my sanding by hand.)

I use Dura Block sanding blocks.
http://www.dura-block.com/sanding-blocks

I do have a paper machine, but it's kind of overkill for a DIYer. This one is similar to mine, but mines way older, I found it at a garage sale;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...-e0f4-546f-833c-249216fd98d7&pf_rd_i=15707161

I use Matrix products, mainly because they have a great website with all of the technical data sheets online for all of their products.

http://matrixsystem.com/en/products/

Example;
http://www.matrixsystem.com/export/sites/matrixsystem/.galleries/documents/tds/MS-52.pdf

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I got an airless sprayer, forget the name. Was a few hundred beans. Got it for rusty metal primer on equipment and to paint my house but it's worked out really well fr anything I've tried including the ole silver birch Tahoe. I'll post a link later on,might be worth consideration

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Kind of pricey but when i painted my nova i picked up an airpro hvlp gun with the cupless feed hose. It was an investment but best paint gun ive ever bought for the amount of vehicles ive painted with it

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Thanks for the list Novak. Yes I have a DA and buffer. I was looking to get some Dura Blocks. Thanks for the link to matrix. That's going to take some studying on my part. My dad taught me to thin the lacquers we sprayed just by looks, so have never bothered to learn how you should measure and mix like I should.

I would like to go airless or cup-less, but most of my projects will be so small it's probably not feasible. Plus I could use it on my house projects.

The projects I have planed now are paint the bumpers mirrors and rockers of my work truck. Repaint the front of my wife's 07 Tahoe. If those things go well maybe some custom paint on the Dmax, but that's a ways off.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014

Attachments

• Capture 32oz cup.JPG
    Capture 32oz cup.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 17

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Thanks for the list Novak. Yes I have a DA and buffer. I was looking to get some Dura Blocks. Thanks for the link to matrix. That's going to take some studying on my part. My dad taught me to thin the lacquers we sprayed just by looks, so have never bothered to learn how you should measure and mix like I should.

I would like to go airless or cup-less, but most of my projects will be so small it's probably not feasible. Plus I could use it on my house projects.

The projects I have planed now are paint the bumpers mirrors and rockers of my work truck. Repaint the front of my wife's 07 Tahoe. If those things go well maybe some custom paint on the Dmax, but that's a ways off.

I use a DA to cut and buff all my jobs. It really makes a difference. 3M makes good hook and loop style pads. I use 3000 grit pads to cut clear coat and then use Wizards Cut compound for the final buff but this is the step where everyone makes their own little recipe but that's what works best for my little hydrodipping jobs. The TCP cups will show the ratios and the paint you buy will come will display the ratio on the label.