L5P Paint quality.

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
Has anybody had issues with paint on the newer vehicles ? I am noticing on mine that paint is “bubbling” around the bed area. Spoke to a buddy he’s a painter and said it looks like it’s rusting... truck is 9
Months old. Was trying to take a picture but it won’t come out in pics ...
in case is rust what would you guys do?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Dealership after confirmation, I went thru warranty on my LMM for bed rust. Had to replace entire bed and reline it, GM wasn't very happy, I had to fight...

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Probably happened sometime during production. You would be amazed how a simple hand touch on bare metal can cause rust to form if it’s left or in this case covered over

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
I’ll call gmc to see what dealer they recommend, last time I had some issues with local dealer they painted the roof under warranty 5 times and they could t get it right,

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
Took truck to dealer they said it wasn’t rust and they repainted, after a couple of days u can see the paint under the clear bubbling up again.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
GM went through painting problems many years ago. Primer had a defined dime between spray and re-coat without having to sand. If you missed the window, it would cause the base paint and clear to become soft, if you really missed it the base and clear would leave the vehicle in sheets.

That being said, I wonder if the dealer who painted yours missed the window.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Did they bust the bubble down to metal? If there's a tiny amount of oil or other contaminants it'll keep coming back until it's done right.

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
I don’t know what they did I went on a business trip and left the truck at the dealer. This would be the 2nd time they have to work on it.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I've never used water base paints but in urethane it can take 6 months or much sooner for a bubble to appear if There's something under neithe it doesn't like. If it's trapped in the primer it'll continue to cause problems until it's removed.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Dont forgot sweat. I've seen people leaning over the coating sanding it while dripping sweat. If not cleaned up properly it will also cause fisheyes, bubbles or delamination

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Dont forgot sweat. I've seen people leaning over the coating sanding it while dripping sweat. If not cleaned up properly it will also cause fisheyes, bubbles or delamination

Good point. I've never really thought about that since I don't paint when it's summer time. I don't like the high humidity on the couple show cars I've done. Thanks for adding that

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Machines leak fluids sometimes. Could be really from anything, and no telling how it got there. If its under the primer its been there a long time, and the paint cleaning process did not remove it.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
A part that I’ve personally seen painters skip is degreasing the paint PRIOR to sanding or blasting which can cause oils and debris to embed in the metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk