LBZ: P0087 died and wont start

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
So a couple weeks ago I went to pass someone and my check engine light came on after I had the pedal down for a moment, thought it was odd scanned and came back with P0087 pulled over cleared the code and went on my way again without it ever happening again.

Today I was on my way home and all off a sudden doing 80km down a gravel road my truck just died. same code came up cleared it tried starting and nothing, got out checked my prime on the filter head and had nothing so I pumped it back up and it fired had the desired fuel pressure for a moment and then it just dropped and died again.

I just changed my fuel filter last week and have put a tank through it already and its been fine. once I tried priming again it seemed to take awhile and only got it running for a moment towed it back to the father in laws we pulled my filter topped it up with diesel and tried again, it went to maybe 2k for fuel pressure and died.

I'm not sure what else to test right now, I've been told possible cp3 or maybe just getting air into the system some how, I'd like to check he diaphragm inside the filterhead for the primer because it seems like I can't get pressure built up now and it feels different from when I did my filter last time, any other suggestions on what to test for and how?

truck has 140,000kms have an edge evolution tuner on it.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Did you change filter types last change? Are you using an adapter? Did the o ring get damaged or fall off?

Fill out a signature to give us an idea. I'd start with a filter head rebuild kit.

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
I'm running a cat 0749 with sinister adapter. the O ring seemed ok but also was wondering if it should be replaced kind of fell off and didn't seem to be quite as tight as before but wasn't sure if I was just thinking that.

no lift pump. EGR blocked with finger stick. BD diesel driver exhaust manifold. mbrp turbo down pipe. 4" AFE exhaust. S&B intake.

going to pick up a kit tomorrow hoping that does it, I'll replace o ring on filter as well. Been running the Cat for a few months now, last one had maybe 6000-8000kms on it.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm running a cat 0749 with sinister adapter. the O ring seemed ok but also was wondering if it should be replaced kind of fell off and didn't seem to be quite as tight as before but wasn't sure if I was just thinking that.

no lift pump. EGR blocked with finger stick. BD diesel driver exhaust manifold. mbrp turbo down pipe. 4" AFE exhaust. S&B intake.

going to pick up a kit tomorrow hoping that does it, I'll replace o ring on filter as well. Been running the Cat for a few months now, last one had maybe 6000-8000kms on it.

Not the best of ideas using a Cat 0749 (no water/fuel separation) and no lift pump with water/fuel separator, the sooner you install a lift pump with a water/fuel separator the longer your injectors will live. You're just one tankful of fuel away from sitting on the side of he road. Nothing great about the rating on the Cat and most of the info online is outdated, the last PDF I opened if you check the properties was dated 2009 and filter ratings have changed substantially since,,,

Put the highlighted at the bottom...

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
I have fuel at home that goes through 2 water separator filters on its way in and then out to my truck but I know I've been meaning to get a lift pump for a while now, I just hope that will be the most expensive part after I get it running. On my way to pick up rebuild kit for filter head and a factory filter to knock out the adapter and cat filter also.

I'll post back here with what I find.

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
I started by putting a factory filter back on and primed a ton wasn't getting hard at all so I pulled the filter and there was no fuel in it. So I topped it up to help and primed again still wasn't going hard so I cracked the bleeder and there was a little air primed a ton again and got a solid stream of fuel. Primed a bunch more still wasn't going hard but decided to try it and it cranked for a few seconds and fired up!! It's still running right now I put it on stock and here are my injector balance rates im not sure how to read these exactly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 32

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
Now while driving it's ok at idle but when i accelerate I won't get the desired fuel pressure

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Injectors look fine. Unplug your fuel pressure regulator and watch rail pressure at idle. Should max
Out. If Not cp3 May to toast.

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
Well I rebuilt the filter head and ended up replacing the factory filter with a fleet guard FS1000 instead of cat. It has a water separator, I had friend put the filter on before and noticed he indented the back side on the factory one. Another reason why I bought another filter.

All seems to run well now I tried unplugging FPR and it maxed out, I noticed when I get on it and start picking up high in the Rpms it's not getting the desired but runs good it's not a massive drops like before with loss of power. I'm thinking maybe I need a lift pump which I will be ordering hopefully tonight.

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
I'm still confused though as to what happened because with the filter replaced and no adapter or filter head I got it running and made it home although noticed a nice crease in filter changed it back with the adapter and rebuilt the head and now it's fine.. I guess it was my Cat filter?

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
Well still having issues, now it runs and I can drive but when I really get on it the pressure drops by atleast half sometimes more. I'm going to do the bottle test tomorrow and see what I come up with. It's fine if I just gradually increase speed.

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
Ok, did the bottle test. Got the pressure to drop 4 times, pulled up at home..... nothing in the bottle... I datalogged this the other day on my edge but still trying to figure out how to even pull the files to open. I am lost at this point I was hoping to see fuel so I could get a shim kit and lift pump and be done but I guess not. Any suggestions?

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
Well it seems as my rail pressure is now only affected by high Rpms and holding it for a while haven't had a code pop up and have gone through almost 2 tanks of fuel. It will still drop by half when up there but otherwise if I drive normal it's fine. I picked up a FASS 150 Titanium kit today from walls rod custom in Winnipeg. Dropped off the inlaws at the airport so figured I might as well spend some money lol will update for anyone curious about my P0087 stint

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
Any other suggestions? Hoping to have the lift pump soon by Monday for sure. Just took the filler piece in to get a second nipple welded in for my slip tank so should be able to grab it today if they had a chance to get at it

GrammRT9

Nov 7, 2014
Lift pump is in! On my way to doing it I laid heavy into it from about 90km/hr and right after it picked up I watched the FRP drop to about 11k then down to 8k, after I installed the lift pump I did the same and the desired and actual stayed side by side. I definitely noticed the throttle felt crisper and she runs a bit smoother. I'm thinking maybe my fuel lines were collapsing a bit under WOT.

My first diesel and first lift pump but I have to say I've read the FASS are kind of loud but I can only hear it when the truck isn't running, once she's fired up I can't hear it over the truck.

Hoping this has fixed my issue so far so good! Now to save up for a Trans so I can make some more power out of this thing!