LB7: over haul @ 120k miles?

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Anyone who follows my build on here knows i put a vgt turbo in my junk but today i decided to take on a different task. The spare motor of my truck has been well neglected in the corner of my barn for 3 years time until my hsp block came back im once again looking into rebuilding my spare to have as a backup. This Engine has 100% stock parts and internals. And had bad fuel knock before the engine was pulled. Confirmed bad injectors but no blowby when Pulled

Am i looking at block machining or just new bearings and oil pump? This motor will likely be a strictly stock /towing build. Turbo will be s366 , ppe manifolds , socal flexplate. New seals new oil cooler etc. just trying to get an idea of how far into this in going since its all stock? arp will also be in it top to bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
First things first. You've got to tear it down and see what you have.
If the cylinders and crank are good, Id simply dingleberry hone it, new rings and bearings. Balance the rotating assy....I highly recommend it.
If you're going bigger turbo, Id imagine you're going bigger sticks too? Id cut the bowls on the pistons if thats the case.
No to rods? You could put LBZ/LMM in it for a small margin of safety.
Put some money into the heads...new springs/pushrods and a good valvejob.
New waterpump would be smart, too.
That would make for an "inexpensive" build. With injector cost, you might have $5000 in it. Less if you have connections for the machine work.

My build like this is still on the road and running fine.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Ive already got brand new stock injectors. Its gonna be in the 450hp range so nowheres rear stressing the stock fueling of the sticks. Will never spin above factory as its going into a service body truck. Heads are good. But as far as bearing clearance and ring size i just dont want to order the wrong ones. Im mainly concerned about brands and what sizes i need Since its only 120k miles and was never really beat on.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
I have a friend who does big block chevys whos let me do all my machine work for the cost of his equipment and supplies so that will likely knock a chunk out

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
If upgrading the turbo and installing stock stick do yourself a favor and grad a set of sac nozzles 45. Last so much longer

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Rick Fletes Dsp 5 on v2, 33x12.5 nitto at on 20 inch American Racing 20x10 wheels, Stage 5 Built Transmission by Mike Cole with triple disc billet low stall converter, 4 inch Injen cold air intake, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, PPE Race Valve, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, lbz cp3 pump, Dual Platinum AGM Duralast, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Upper Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FED Y Bridge, Shantz Custom Fab Traction Bars.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
If upgrading the turbo and installing stock stick do yourself a favor and grad a set of sac nozzles 45. Last so much longer

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Rick Fletes Dsp 5 on v2, 33x12.5 nitto at on 20 inch American Racing 20x10 wheels, Stage 5 Built Transmission by Mike Cole with triple disc billet low stall converter, 4 inch Injen cold air intake, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, PPE Race Valve, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, lbz cp3 pump, Dual Platinum AGM Duralast, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Upper Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FED Y Bridge, Shantz Custom Fab Traction Bars.

Will do!

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
For a budget build with moderate horsepower goals the bd flex plate is a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Am I the only idiot running a stock 325,000 mile flexplate on a built motor? :baby:

I figured a flexplate is one part that can be changed "easily" if needed,so why spend money prematurely? I have almost 30k miles on it now, all of which are at 660 RWHP or higher. This flexplate has survived 3 transmissions so far lol

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Am I the only idiot running a stock 325,000 mile flexplate on a built motor? :baby:

I figured a flexplate is one part that can be changed "easily" if needed,so why spend money prematurely? I have almost 30k miles on it now, all of which are at 660 RWHP or higher. This flexplate has survived 3 transmissions so far lol

We been running stock flex plate on my old LLY for awhile now and it's around ~825rwhp. All is good still lol

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Mine is cracked and the internals are getting balanced thursday. I just don’t wanna let it eat and have to tear it back down again

I may buy a new stock one

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
What are the best bearings for the bottom end. I notice they all cost about the same and there are about 5 different options

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
cea44ee60137fcf125a8e3929bfd93f3.jpg
a6059b178ccb15493384f75ae5918eae.jpg
9fd8154905cbfb000a77edfea3c86e44.jpg

New year new motor... finally. Sold my spare engine and my denali . Bit the bullet and Pulled my current Semi built motor and now going through it for the third time. This time With a callies billet crank and some other goods. Protrusions were great, crank was stress cracked when we pulled it so im glad i pulled it.

Block has been zero decked, heads are flat so that saves me some cash. Everything is in powder-coat and the parts have been rolling in since christmas.

Should have a mid 800 -1000 on twins with some 65 sac injectors

Color input would be appreciated as the truck is pewter metallic however the plan is to remain with the osu orange

If there are any little details a may be missing feel free to comment, as it is my third time pulling the engine its nothing mew to me but everyone has room to learn

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
IMG_6283.JPG

Round three. Got it running strong and quiet as ever. Harland sharp valve train doesnt tick too terrible

Attachments

• IMG_6283.JPG
    IMG_6283.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 26