Opinion on 2002 Duramax with 120k miles

heathwh

May 28, 2010
I am considering purchasing a 2002 GMC 2500 HD SLT 4x4 with 120k miles on it. I know this isn't a lot of miles for a diesel, but I've read some bad stuff about the injectors on this year. I don't know yet if the injectors have been replaced under the recall/warranty. If they've been replaced should the truck be ok? If not, is is safe to assume this one got a good batch of injectors since they haven't failed yet?

The truck has Superchips reprogrammer, 4” SS exhaust, plus some other aesthetic add-ons and he's asking $16k. Is this a fair price? Or should I just pass regardless of the price b/c of the year?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

Bill

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Moved here.

If you post the Vin# in the Vin check area. One of the guys will tell you if the injectors have been replaced or not.

:hello: & :welcome5:

heathwh

May 28, 2010
Update on 2002 Duramax

Well, I don't need the VIN check b/c the owner told me that the injectors have not been replaced. Should I pass on the truck for sure since the injectors haven't been replaced?

Thanks,

Bill

Team Overkill

<---Where my money goes
Oct 15, 2009
Illinois/Nebraska
Its kind of a hit and miss situation. Some guys have injectors go bad at 75 thousand miles, some go bad at 250 thousand. If one goes bad you still have 7 good ones left.:rofl:

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Depends on the price that he is asking? Replacing injectors is not cheap, probably 3K+ in a shop. LB7's are a pain in the ass to change. Someone who is really good at it can do it in about 6 hours. I don't remember what the book says for hours to do the job. I'd find out what it would cost you to do the injectors and deduct all or part of that from his asking price and make him an offer.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
165k on stock injectors in my 02. My wife's 02 has 210k miles and had the orig. injectors swapped at 175k. Both trucks run fine.

That price is probably on the high side but not out of line if it's a nice truck. Ken's advise to offer 2-3K less than asking price to cover injector replacement.

Later

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Our LB7 gives my LBZ a run for it's money pullin the horse trailers. They are very impressive motors. We have had 5 sets of injectors in all nut one set were dealer error as far as I am concerned. Never paid a cent yet. We have just about 200k

heathwh

May 28, 2010
I looked at the truck today, but after reading all of the sage advice here I think I'm going to pass. Thanks for your help!

Bill