One daytime driving light out. . .

ROGUE GTS

Apr 30, 2008
Ok so my driver side daytime light is out. Changed the bulb and it's still having issues. Tried cleaning the bulb socket and leads, etc. Still giving me fits.

I have attempted to trace the wires and do a voltage check, but as soon as I remove the bulb, it seems both driving lights turn off so I'm not even positive if they are getting voltage at the time to check. :dontknow:

Is this a regularly occurring issue or something I need to trace down?

I feel like a tard driving around with one of them out. :(

Redbone

but this one goes to 11
May 1, 2008
Indy, IN
PLease post your truck in the Sig, so it's easier to answer questions.

If it's a GMT800 platform truck (thru 2007 Classics), this is a very common problem. Take a look around and you'll notice dozens of these trucks with either daytime running lights out.

I spoke to the project guy at Guide Corp. who designed and built the lighting systems on these trucks. GM actually dictated the design and cost criteria for these systems. Everyone knew there would be problems. They were right.

Solution? Keep replacing bulbs.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
PLease post your truck in the Sig, so it's easier to answer questions.

If it's a GMT800 platform truck (thru 2007 Classics), this is a very common problem. Take a look around and you'll notice dozens of these trucks with either daytime running lights out.

I spoke to the project guy at Guide Corp. who designed and built the lighting systems on these trucks. GM actually dictated the design and cost criteria for these systems. Everyone knew there would be problems. They were right.

Solution? Keep replacing bulbs.

the electricity is pulsed for some reason IIRC. This causes bulbs to burn out faster. All trucks seem to be different; minor differences in circuitry, wiring, etc, I dont know.

The 2003+ trucks seem to be a lot better with no burning out bulbs, probably because of the electrical system complete overhaul that came with the mid-cycle enhancment that year. 2002 and older trucks it is a lot more common.

My truck has only burned out two DRL's in 90k miles, whereas my buddy's truck burns them out allthe time.

ROGUE GTS

Apr 30, 2008
I tried changing the bulb but that didn't solve the problem. That was my first attempt at fixing it. :(

HeavyDutyDmax

what meow?
May 2, 2008
CO
I think all three of our trucks has one burnt out :(

I have a drl burnt out too. I love my truck, but i have had the worst luck, I have gone through probably 8 headlight bulbs and 2 tail light bulbs in about 2 1/2 years.

ROGUE GTS

Apr 30, 2008
Are you guys just roaching bulbs, or is it a lack of power from the supply? I can't even get a constant power (that I trust) to put a volt meter on it.

Guess i'll just have to trace the wires all the way back to the fuse box and make sure they look ok. This blows. :mad:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
thats no bueno:(

I think Casper is the only one with the drivers side burnt out though

attachment.php

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the sockets can go bad. I think there may have been a TSB out about it. I'll have to look and see. You may just need to replace the socket.

lbzpwr

<-----My new demo!
Apr 30, 2008
Santa Clarita, CA
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the sockets can go bad. I think there may have been a TSB out about it. I'll have to look and see. You may just need to replace the socket.

Yep i thought there was a TSB also but I didnt see one. And of course GM's website is down now............:mad:

NukleusX

Stuck in a P7100 world.
Eh throwing in my $.02 here, I have seen this constantly and always wondered about it. Redbone's explanation sounds like a plausible reason for it happening. Sucks you guys have to deal with it....

I am suprised no one sells aftermarket wiring harnesses and socket kits to solve the problem once and for all... Perhaps somone with some electrical skill can get one made up and make a few bucks...

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
just changed the fiance's driver's side DRL Sun. I've changed mine a time or two as well. Both of ours are 2002 model trucks. I have noticed it on other GM trucks as well... just the nature of the beast I suppose. :(

maddogg101920

I break stuff
Mar 2, 2007
CECIL COUNTY, MD
just changed the fiance's driver's side DRL Sun. I've changed mine a time or two as well. Both of ours are 2002 model trucks. I have noticed it on other GM trucks as well... just the nature of the beast I suppose. :(

i always see GM trucks with one blown out, ive even tried dif bulbs, still same problem,

ROGUE GTS

Apr 30, 2008
If it was only the bulbs I wouldn't care... it's the lack of power to the bulb thats a PITA to track down on these things.

F-it, i'm about to pull the pass side bulb so at least I don't look like a tard that doesn't maintain their truck.