LMM: Oil ?

Spuco

Nov 27, 2009
Long Island, NY
Hi,
Is there any one out there that could guide me in the right direction with oil selection? Mobil 1 5W-40 ? or Mobil 1 15W-40? I live in NY
or is there someother oil you guys recommend, I use the truck for work and every day driving.

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
You are going to get 100 different answers on this topic. I personally run 15-40 Rotella in my truck. But others will tell you that you need to run Delvac, Amsoil, Mobil,etc........

In you climate I would say you are fine with 15-40. Only in extremely cold environments would I go to a thinner oil.

In my book when it comes to oil as long as you keep you oil change intervals small i.e. I change mine every 3,000. and you are not making huge amounts of horsepower you shoud be fine in whatever you choose as long as its a good name brand oil.

Last edited:

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
I use Schaffer's 15w40 but that' because I conveniently have a Schaffer's rep in town. Otherwise, I would use Delo 15w40...

My .02

Rob

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
15-40 will be fine if you drive a lot you might swap in a 5-40 in the winter or if you go to a bit colder climate then NY often.

moore428

Dec 9, 2008
SE Iowa
Mobil 1 5w-40 for your climate. Unless you tow heavy or run through desert heat all the time it will be fine.

username taken

Aug 26, 2009
what if you tow heavy in the desert heat? MPI mentioned to me that the when the oil gets hot the pressure drops big time and suggested something more robust. Straight 40? or is there a better multi vis alternative?

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
Finally....John Deere has come out with a CJ4 classification oil, the Plus 50-II in a 15W40. I`ve been hoping it would get here!! While I`ve never had an issue with Rotella, I firmly believe in John Deere`s product. When I roll "Precious" (my step sons name for my trucks) out of storage this spring, it WILL get the JD oil before it hits the road.

Dalyfarms

Jan 12, 2010
Centrailia Mo
Firm Believer in Rotella here, 15-40 for the newer tighter built motors, Straight 30 for the older diesels (pre 99's) I believe once a oil brand is picked stick with it that oil don't swap brands or weights.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
Firm Believer in Rotella here, 15-40 for the newer tighter built motors, Straight 30 for the older diesels (pre 99's) I believe once a oil brand is picked stick with it that oil don't swap brands or weights.

i have to agree with this statement. Once a motor is broke in on a certain weight and brand oil you shouldnt change because the rings are set to that oil, bearings are already saturated with that weight and all the little spaces and gaps are wearing to that specific oil.

Once the oil is changed from different brands of the same weight, and or different weights, thinner or thicker you are running risks of that engine wearing quicker. From either lack of oil penetration or looser bearing clearances, more oil burnt, higher blow by, etc.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
You are going to get 100 different answers on this topic. I personally run 15-40 Rotella in my truck. But others will tell you that you need to run Delvac, Amsoil, Mobil,etc........

In you climate I would say you are fine with 15-40. Only in extremely cold environments would I go to a thinner oil.

In my book when it comes to oil as long as you keep you oil change intervals small i.e. I change mine every 3,000. and you are not making huge amounts of horsepower you shoud be fine in whatever you choose as long as its a good name brand oil.

X2, I live in N.Y. and Rotella 15-40 is all we run in both the LLY & LB7 The LLY gets changed every 3k and the LB7 every 5-7k.

T2CH

<<<Me...Not My Wife...
Apr 30, 2008
Charlottesville, Va
i have to agree with this statement. Once a motor is broke in on a certain weight and brand oil you shouldnt change because the rings are set to that oil, bearings are already saturated with that weight and all the little spaces and gaps are wearing to that specific oil.

Once the oil is changed from different brands of the same weight, and or different weights, thinner or thicker you are running risks of that engine wearing quicker. From either lack of oil penetration or looser bearing clearances, more oil burnt, higher blow by, etc.

Never heard this before. Is this like the myth of once you use synthetic you can't go back to dino cause it will pop the engine? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dalyfarms

Jan 12, 2010
Centrailia Mo
I don't know about myths, I based my ideas off experiance, a oil co advised us to swich from strait 30 weight to 15w 40 for ourfarm tractors and trucks, we had oil related problems in every engine within 6 months. We went back to strait 30 weight in all of our older tractors, road tractors, ect untill we started buying Newer engines which seem to be built to closer tolerances.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
I don't know about myths, I based my ideas off experiance, a oil co advised us to swich from strait 30 weight to 15w 40 for ourfarm tractors and trucks, we had oil related problems in every engine within 6 months. We went back to strait 30 weight in all of our older tractors, road tractors, ect untill we started buying Newer engines which seem to be built to closer tolerances.

X2 oil is all about clearaces and picking the proper oil for what the motor has been broke in with and the clearances of that particular engine

T2CH

<<<Me...Not My Wife...
Apr 30, 2008
Charlottesville, Va
I agree with you guys to a point but if what you are saying is true than we should all run the same oil GM put in the motor from the factory.
I run a ~40 wieght oil whether it is 5W or 15W. Should have no effect on the rings or the bearings. As for the brand, as long as it meets the CI-4 or CJ-4 specs its really just preference IMO.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Swapping weights doesn't matter much if any. We did it yearly for the changing seasons in our Iron when I live up north.