LLY: oil loss at continuous hi way speed

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Daiblo preditors are the worst for throwing off the mileage and range calculators. I used to be able to get my dad's lbz to say 26+ mpg and almost 600 mile cruise range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

diesel on

Jul 16, 2016
That's just a easy check. After you verify the turbo is good, I'd do a compression test. Putting around town isn't making the cyl pressure, RPM's and heat like driving down the highway.

checked the turbo this morning , and no slay in the shaft at all .

diesel on

Jul 16, 2016
Daiblo preditors are the worst for throwing off the mileage and range calculators. I used to be able to get my dad's lbz to say 26+ mpg and almost 600 mile cruise range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

my calculations are done on road trips . I don't rely on ON BOARD COMPUTERS .It's 1548 from my place in Long Island NY to my place in the keys Marathon Florida at the 7 mile bridge . we do the trip at least 4 times a year , sometimes 6 I take down milage start and finish on paper and the fuel receipts tell me how much fuel I use . It hasn't gone below 24.6 MPG , and one time I calculated 25.6 MPG ON PAPER not computer . I'm old school and don't know much about computers . Its a 19 -21 hour continuous drive .

diesel on

Jul 16, 2016
If it's not coming out of the pcv, you either have a failing turbo (which would cause an oily tailpipe and smoke if it's too bad) or it's got a bad ring or damaged cylinder wall.

Have you pulled the turbo inlet off and checked for shaft play and/or oil?

no play in turbo shaft , and looks nice and shiny like new

diesel on

Jul 16, 2016
That's just a easy check. After you verify the turbo is good, I'd do a compression test. Putting around town isn't making the cyl pressure, RPM's and heat like driving down the highway.

hi again
I have a question . Would a leak down test be better and reveal more than a compression test ? just ordered an adaptor for my leak down tester that goes in the glow plug hole . should have it in a couple days .

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
You lost everybody when you said you got 28 mpg. We are not stupid, the is a forum full of extremely knowledgable people. Once we smell shit, the vast majority just run and ignore...

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
my calculations are done on road trips . I don't rely on ON BOARD COMPUTERS .It's 1548 from my place in Long Island NY to my place in the keys Marathon Florida at the 7 mile bridge . we do the trip at least 4 times a year , sometimes 6 I take down milage start and finish on paper and the fuel receipts tell me how much fuel I use . It hasn't gone below 24.6 MPG , and one time I calculated 25.6 MPG ON PAPER not computer . I'm old school and don't know much about computers . Its a 19 -21 hour continuous drive .

I'll believe that when me $hit turns purple and tastes like rainbow sherbet :roflmao:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
He may mean UK gallons. I remember a Canadian member on DP getting all kinds of butthurt that the dash used US gallons.

If he is calculating as UK gallons, then in US gallons, he gets 20.8 MPG in his truck, which is still a bit of a stretch, but can happen with the right tires and flat ground. (I've done 19.8 MPG with 285s at 70 MPH, bet I could hit 20+ MPG with 245s and no wind.) Alternatively, the tire size could have been entered wrong on his programmer, which would throw off his speed and mileage calculations.

As for the oil loss, it has to be going somewhere. A leak down test might have some answers, but it might not. If it isn't leaking outside the engine somewhere, then it is either going through the PCV or through the combustion chamber (rings, valve seals).

It sounds like your PCV reroute doesn't have a catch can. You might consider adding one temporarily to see if that is what is happening. Oil doesn't always leave a residue in the tube, especially if there is a lot of air/vapor going through as well.

diesel on

Jul 16, 2016
You lost everybody when you said you got 28 mpg. We are not stupid, the is a forum full of extremely knowledgable people. Once we smell shit, the vast majority just run and ignore...

Hi I never said I get 28 MPG .I stated I get 24 to 25 MPG The last item I installed is an HHO hydrogen system . and I,m still not done with it . The MPG i get from my truck is accurate on paper . Im trying to meet my goal of close to 30 but don"t know if i'll really make it . I know you guys are very knowledgeable but they should also think of alternative fuels . They do work .I want to patent my system when I get all the bugs out and refine it . thanks for letting me know what happened .
Steve

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
What MPH are you driving at? I have an 05 and ran the Diablo with some 265's to Minnesota and back from MI years ago driving 75-80 the whole way. I averaged 18mpg there and 19 on the way home (hand calculated). I thought that was pretty good for driving 80 most of the time.