LLY: oil loss at continuous hi way speed

diesel on

Jul 16, 2016
I have an ongoing oil problem . pressure gauge giving me low pressure readings, replaced the pressure sending unit ,now good . Still have the loss problem . Rerouted PCV problem still exists . Can't find where the oil is going . went through 5 tanks of fuel around town at speeds between 30 and 45 MPH and didn't use a drop of oil. Went to go back down to florida . At highway speed of70 to75 MPH , went about 180 mile then it started again . The engine slows down . and then goes into limp mode .I pull over ,check the dip stick , no reading on it . Put 2 quartz of engine oil in , then it's good to go . went rite back home .
Im at wits end . Have 100,000 miles on it . Has any body come across or heard of this problem . thanks guys for taking the time to view my problem

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
If it's not coming out of the pcv, you either have a failing turbo (which would cause an oily tailpipe and smoke if it's too bad) or it's got a bad ring or damaged cylinder wall.

Have you pulled the turbo inlet off and checked for shaft play and/or oil?

diesel on

Jul 16, 2016
If it's not coming out of the pcv, you either have a failing turbo (which would cause an oily tailpipe and smoke if it's too bad) or it's got a bad ring or damaged cylinder wall.

the tailpipe has the normal dry soot , on oil in it .if it had a bad cylinder , wouldn't it run a little rough . it runs very smooth and has power . why wouldn't it use oil at lower speeds , this only happens at high speed .

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
My friend has a bone stock 98 twelve valve with 85k miles. He can putt around town for a month and not burn a drop, he hits the highway and it's pukes a qt or more depending how far he goes right out the pcv vent. Truck has a nice black undercoating.

diesel on

Jul 16, 2016
My friend has a bone stock 98 twelve valve with 85k miles. He can putt around town for a month and not burn a drop, he hits the highway and it's pukes a qt or more depending how far he goes right out the pcv vent. Truck has a nice black undercoating.

I did a PCV reroute and just looked in the tube and its dry

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Just think, if it keeps using oil at that rate you will never have to do an oil change as it will always be fresh :roflmao:

diesel on

Jul 16, 2016

I'll look into that this weekend thanks

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
That's just a easy check. After you verify the turbo is good, I'd do a compression test. Putting around town isn't making the cyl pressure, RPM's and heat like driving down the highway.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Have you pulled the oil fill cap while it's running to see if you're getting alot of blowby coming out? I know sometimes the pcv system won't show alit of pressure when the oil fill cap will.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
It's not the speed it's sustained rpm.

I'd go do a few wot pulls and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

diesel on

Jul 16, 2016
the truck is an 05 2500HD silverado LT 4X4 crew cab with 8' bed has a diablo chip , 5 inch exhaust , AFE intake and filter , EGR block off . At 70-80 I get 25 MPG on highway also have an 03 jetta TDI very happy with it . with the work I did to it , I get 58-61 MPG at 75 MPH on the highway .