Oil cooler let loose last night

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
For you that have had the oil cooler blow a gasket. Which gasket did you replace? The gasket on the Trans adapter plate pside let loose awhile backso I'm assuming now it's the same on the dside. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 102

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the mid plate adaptor side is a square rubber o-ring that seals it. the oil cooler side is a metal gasket. if its the mid plate side thats leaking, you will need that o-ring (180 in the pic)

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
When you put it back together. Reuse the metal gasket but clean as much of the black crap off it as you can (if it has any) and use rtv on both sides of it. Let it dry over night and it should be good.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Remove the black stuff off the new gasket?

180 and 126 on that pic are two different gaskets. 180 should be a big square rubber o-ring. that one you just pull the old one, and stuff the new one into the groove of the elbow. if you also bought the 126 gaskets as plan to use it or you just plan to reuse the old 126 gaskets on yours currently, i would suggest removing the black film on the metal 126 gaskets and coating it with RTV just prior to install. i cant remember if the original gasket of mine had the black coating, thats why i stated if it had it, remove it.

i had the o-ring fold over on me on the original install and leak. when i removed it, i put a new metal 126 gasket in and the black coating was causing it to not seal, so again i had to pull it all apart, cleaned that crap off with a scotch bright wheel and used RTV on both sides. been solid for 2.5 years now.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
That is exactly what happened to me. The rubber one looked identical to yours, so I replaced it and after going back together the steel one with the "black crap" on it decided it didn't want to reseal so I had to come back apart and took it to the wire wheel and then used rtv like James suggested and its been fine ever since.

And yes that oil cooler is an absolute bitch to work on, you get drenched in coolant and oil, even if you think you have the block drained... You don't :(