Off Season Sled Pulling Mods

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
This thread makes my want to delete myself. I do some work on my truck think its looking good and coming out awsome then I look on here and see Dave's truck looking crazy as hell and everyone else's and makes me realize I need a better job lol

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I wish this was Facebook so I could "like" derek06's comment about a million times. I make 6 figures and can't touch the builds on here. They r just flat out amazing.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
If you do everything yourself, it is very very possible to do making 40k a year.

Edit: if you're single an not an alcoholic

I can see that if u bought an older truck to start with. But dang just the cost in parts would break u. Even if u did 100% of the labor. Heck my turbo plans r on hold until the trans is lined out. I have an extra lmm ready to b built but that isn't happening for awhile. I'm trying to LS/turbo my race car also so maybe that's my problem. Too many projects lol

lawnboy01

Mar 29, 2007
New Philadelphia, Ohio
picture.php
For those that have seen show stopper.... It will look a little better this year. No busted bed sides. No dented doors or fenders. Solid cab corners and rockers. The truck is losing all its charm:rofl:

lawnboy01

Mar 29, 2007
New Philadelphia, Ohio
I can see that if u bought an older truck to start with. But dang just the cost in parts would break u. Even if u did 100% of the labor. Heck my turbo plans r on hold until the trans is lined out. I have an extra lmm ready to b built but that isn't happening for awhile. I'm trying to LS/turbo my race car also so maybe that's my problem. Too many projects lol

That is how a lot of guys get into trouble. Start with a ragged out $4000 truck. Ur going to replace everything anyways.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
That is how a lot of guys get into trouble. Start with a ragged out $4000 truck. Ur going to replace everything anyways.

I paid $8700 for my truck in 2009 when fuel prices reached almost $5.00 per gallon. It was a pretty mint truck, one owner, used to tow a 5th wheel to and from FL. It was a running joke with those that know me and know the truck that I had twice the cost of the truck in the longblock :D

But I had a plan when I bought it to do exactly what I have done to it...I had a lot of downtime to think about it, and plan it out. I had already built an 04 into a workstock truck and learned a lot of the important lessons we learn while building these for the first time. I was able to save a lot of money by having a year+ to gather parts, buy stuff used, look for good deals, etc.
After the DPC, before I had to rebuild the Allseason motor, I totalled the receipts I had and came up with $62,000 in parts (included paint work and body work which was the only thing we didn't do ourselves).

I would say I sent myself to school for a good price...

lawnboy01

Mar 29, 2007
New Philadelphia, Ohio
I paid $8700 for my truck in 2009 when fuel prices reached almost $5.00 per gallon. It was a pretty mint truck, one owner, used to tow a 5th wheel to and from FL. It was a running joke with those that know me and know the truck that I had twice the cost of the truck in the longblock :D

But I had a plan when I bought it to do exactly what I have done to it...I had a lot of downtime to think about it, and plan it out. I had already built an 04 into a workstock truck and learned a lot of the important lessons we learn while building these for the first time. I was able to save a lot of money by having a year+ to gather parts, buy stuff used, look for good deals, etc.
After the DPC, before I had to rebuild the Allseason motor, I totalled the receipts I had and came up with $62,000 in parts (included paint work and body work which was the only thing we didn't do ourselves).

I would say I sent myself to school for a good price...
Nope it's not a cheap hobby. But starting with a turd of a truck helps the budget a little. That's all I'm saying

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I am agreeing with you in a sense. I would have a tough time buying a ragged out truck and not trying to find a really good value, but just because at this point in the game I'd try to make things easier for myself

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I would have no issue buying a high mile truck with the goal of building a puller or dragracer since most of the wear items would be changed or replaced anyways. i would however spend the money to make sure the body and frame were clean and solid.