LML No more Hiss at idle With H&S mini-maxx

Gp184

Coonass and proud!
Nov 24, 2011
Reserve, La.
H&S released a manual update for us to try today. It's to get rid of the Hiss at idle. I did the update and the new rumble sound is awesome!!!

After going for a spin the sound of the turbo spooling up and down is way louder!! the time to spool from a dead stop is slower though. Besides that, everything else is the same it seems. Here is a video of me starting the truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DuH7Zo-V74

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2DuH7Zo-V74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
I have the rumble idle on one EFI tune on my truck and i like it but i like the turbo hiss better. Guess it all comes down to personal preference. ;) I'd like one of my tunes to have more hiss than stock if possible.

I tried to find the video on YouTube cause you said i couldn't and i didn't. :D

Gp184

Coonass and proud!
Nov 24, 2011
Reserve, La.
I have the rumble idle on one EFI tune on my truck and i like it but i like the turbo hiss better. Guess it all comes down to personal preference. ;) I'd like one of my tunes to have more hiss than stock if possible.

I tried to find the video on YouTube cause you said i couldn't and i didn't. :D
:D

Yeah i liked the hiss too, but loving the rumble right now. I kept the hiss files in case i get tired of it.

I loved the questions about, "what's wrong with your truck", or, "that thing sounds like a jet" lol

Sent from my droid bionic while driving through your yard, smashing your cute little kittens.

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
I would rate quicker spool more important than open vanes at idle. Although with efi I got most of them to spool about the same with vanes open at idle. Not on LMLs obviously. Put a muffler on and you can't hear it anyway. I am still amazed everyone complained more about the hiss, the speed limiter also removing the turbo brake and cruise seemed more important. I guess that means they are still working on lml tuning anyway.

Unless you just pulled the maf sensor to screw with people like that guy on df did. :D

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
The LML with a 3" down pipe and exhaust w/ muffler sounds much better than an LML with a stock dp and a straight exhaust. My LML sounded 100x better than this shit I hear on youtube.

Gp184

Coonass and proud!
Nov 24, 2011
Reserve, La.
How do you get this update Gp184? Is it directed form H&S?

yes. it is a trial just for the people with the Mini-Maxx. it is a manual download.

here is the post by them from the DF:

Mini maxx update to combat turbo hiss at idle
New tuning calibrations for a Mini Maxx on an LML to address "hiss". Feel free to load this calibration to your LML, and report your findings.

We are attempting to create a calibration file that will address the loud "hiss" at an idle that emissions removed customers are hearing. This can be heard more noticeably on trucks that don't run a muffler.

There are literally hundreds of changes made to this file, and we hope to cover most all scenarios that the truck might come across. You WILL still hear a slight hiss at start up as the turbo cycles fully open to fully closed for a diagnostics check, after this the "hiss" should subside. Factory programming keeps the vane control duty cycle at around 85-95% during an idle state. We are now attempting to command the turbo to remain at 50-65% duty cycle. All other driving and operating range turbo control should be unaffected by these tuning changes. Our shop LML performs just as we command, staying at around 60% vane position under any idle state.

** This is a manual update, and you will need to have a few basic computer skills to get it to work. Our auto-update program will NOT get you this set of files until testing is complete.

** This is ONLY for the MINI MAXX products. This will not work if you have an XRT Pro or Black Maxx. Those products will be supported once testing is complete.

1. Download the software at the link below. Save it to your computer somewhere.
2. Extract the saved folder.
3. Open the extracted folder, so that you can see multiple individual files.
4. Copy and paste ALL the files onto your SD card, replacing any instances that already exist.
5. Update firmware (Menu > Update Firmware)
6. Install the tuning software (Menu > Install download > H&S tuning.... etc)

If done correctly, your version number in show settings should now be at T.V.6.6.38.

Software:
http://www.hsperformance.com/updates...011_38test.zip

Please drive the truck for multiple drive cycles, then report back. We want to know how it reacts after a cold soak (longer than 8 hours engine off), as well as after a long drive at full operating temperature. Please keep the information you provide as accurate as possible, so that we can work towards a solution (if need be) as efficiently as possible. Thanks!

"Bring on the Power"

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Ben, You still running Quadzilla? or did you goto H&S?

It still had the Quadzilla on it when I traded it in. The tuning was very good with almost no smoke. The only problem I had was with the last update, it didnt have the speed limiter removed. 99 mph was all it would do.

I did beta testing for Quadzilla on the tuning with and without emissions. I was very impressed with the top end power of the LML above 120mph. It pulled like no other. However, after the last update, Quadzilla was not helpful in fixing the speed limit issue and I never got a revised tune. This probably kept me out of jail and or the morgue.