Nitrous+stock fueling?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
dont waist the money, invest time into your tune and work on track setup. your lack of boost is due in part to gear reduction. the higher the gear reduction, the harder it is to load the turbo and hit max boost.

bump up to a 3100-3200pw and see how shes does :D

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
well Qa1's would cost me more than this nos kit. the kit isnt a big shot or anything. i guess i just need to figure out how early i could "safely" spray

what do you consider safe with n2o?

your pistons would be ok, your rods may live too... you could possibly pick up 3-4 tenths...

but at what cost? you trying to compensate your lack of a lanuch by increasing stress on an already stressed and over-aired driveline.

personally id just go back to the track and work on your 60's with your current set up.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
bump up to a 3100-3200pw and see how shes does :D

that sounds scarier than running nitrous....lol

honestly i love the way my tunes are right now. if i got this NOS and picked up 50hp on the dyno id be happy. that way i can have my awesome tunes the way they are, and a wee little extra powa on tap if i need it

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

honestly i love the way my tunes are right now. if i got this NOS and picked up 50hp on the dyno id be happy. that way i can have my awesome tunes the way they are, and a wee little extra powa on tap if i need it

not really, there are alot of guys that run that high of pw, and more that probably dont realize it. most cant keep rail pressure up so they never see much gain but if you can, thats a 50+hp gain assuming all works as it should

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
what do you consider safe with n2o?
not blasting a 150 shot outta the hole in low rpms
your pistons would be ok, your rods may live too... you could possibly pick up 3-4 tenths...
i see plenty of lb7's and lly's running close to 650. pulling torque out of the tune helps rods greatly. Paint has been running close to 650 for a while right? IMO torque kills the rods not horsepower. and .3-.4 would get me into the 11's :D
but at what cost? you trying to compensate your lack of a lanuch by increasing stress on an already stressed and over-aired driveline.
a cost of 400 dollars
personally id just go back to the track and work on your 60's with your current set up.

i wish i could but since i dont own slicks, i get to use a set once every blue moon.

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI

some say your tunes should be re-written for n2o... a 50 shot may not be as crucial for retuning but the bigger shots are.

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
i wish i could but since i dont own slicks, i get to use a set once every blue moon.

how many miles do you have on your truck? dmaxchris' cousin used n2o on his lb7 for a few pulls and it worked well for him but iirc he built it shortly there after.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
not really, there are alot of guys that run that high of pw, and more that probably dont realize it. most cant keep rail pressure up so they never see much gain but if you can, thats a 50+hp gain assuming all works as it should

i thought running PW like that out of stock injectors would really put stress on stock rods?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
how many miles do you have on your truck? dmaxchris' cousin used n2o on his lb7 for a few pulls and it worked well for him but iirc he built it shortly there after.

70,000. i use my max effort tune maybe 4 times a month if that. im trying to get everything set up before i get to the track again so i can hit 11's when i get a chance.

and dmaxchris went nuts with nitrous :roflmao:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i thought running PW like that out of stock injectors would really put stress on stock rods?

if the air isnt there to make the power, all your doing is throwing smoke out the tail pipe. untill that turbo lights, your not doing much other than the possiblility of washing down the cylinder walls, increasing EGTs and cylinder heat till she lights. that turbo lighting puts more stress on the rods than the fuel alone cause your getting a full combustion in the chamber. At 2800pw, your not exactly doin the motor any favors, that what i bent my rods on.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
well here's the final deciding factor

the kit says "An easy 50 HP can be added to any diesel engine with no upgrades required to the fuel system or electronics."

if i can get 50hp extra on the dyno it would be worth it to me. i guess what i need to know is if its actually gonna yield 50hp

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well here's the final deciding factor

the kit says "An easy 50 HP can be added to any diesel engine with no upgrades required to the fuel system or electronics."

if i can get 50hp extra on the dyno it would be worth it to me. i guess what i need to know is if its actually gonna yield 50hp

depends on if there is enough fuel left over after combustion. if your not buring all the fuel at hand (and you never will btw) you can squeak more out but it will be harder and harder to get those last bits of fuel. jsut cause the kit says "easy 50 hp" doesnt mean you will get it. they look at a stock truck with stock everything and then test their kit. its like adding a 20hp gain air intake, 50hp tune and 30hp gain exhaust. you will never acheive 100hp over stock out of that configuration

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
the only place I have fuel to spare is anywhere under mid 3rd gear. That's with my current tuning. Idk what it would be of I added a few hundred more uS to the tune

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the only place I have fuel to spare is anywhere under mid 3rd gear. That's with my current tuning. Idk what it would be of I added a few hundred more uS to the tune

all im tryin to do is save you coin cause i dont think your gunna get what you want from NOS. :hug:

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Looks like I'm gonna buy the kit. My game plan is to use a 50hp shot shortly after launching to get the charger up when I would normally be chugging smoke. I'm not gonna let it rip all the way down the track.....until I have the fuel :D

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I don't know if anyone has said this but I think I would invest in some slicks or drag radials. I've never raced a 4x4 truck yet, but my experience is with racing a heavy ass 63 impala and a very light 77 vega. Let me tell u there is nothing better than feeling that car hook and go with slicks on it. My goal is to run 10's this year on an 8.5" slick:D. Next year maybe 9's. U don't need a 31x18 to hook. My point is I would invest that 400 bucks into my track setup(slicks) before nos. this is only my 2 cents and experience with cars. Not trucks. Your truck might hook good off the line now. But I've been keeping up with your progress and I don't think u have raced since u put the 72 on there. If it hooked last year on street tires it could b a whole different ball game this year.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
you are right i havent raced the 72 yet and slicks are way more than 400 and i only get a chance to go to the track every so often. i talked to rob and he gave me the go ahead so i got a kit headed my way. now i can have nos AND work on my setup :thumb:

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
my goal is to hit 11's first night on the track in a 2wd stock injectors, stock cp3 truck

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
you are right i havent raced the 72 yet and slicks are way more than 400 and i only get a chance to go to the track every so often. i talked to rob and he gave me the go ahead so i got a kit headed my way. now i can have nos AND work on my setup :thumb:

Depends on what brand and size u want. M&h sells a few tires around the 28"-30" range in a 16" rim for around 200 a tire. The 30" is about 239 a tire. Mine r a 26x8.5x15 and they r only 160 a tire but that's too short for these trucks. Good luck with the setup