Nitorus and the diesel

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
I will stop

I will not edit another post. He is what he is. If you guys want to listen to his rants then have at it. History always repeats itself so it wont take him long.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
He'll likely hang himself, Jeff. Won't need help if it goes like normal. :thumb:

And by all means, if anyone sees him spewing stuff that's off, I hope you still keep him in check because I don't have enough knowledge to always know when he is off or not.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
The .387 lobe lift would be a .526 lift at the valve on intake. The 112 degree would cut done on overlap and help with cylinder pressure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How does it help with cylinder pressure? Not sure what you mean.
I always understood wider LSA helps the higher RPM band while a narrow LSA helps low end torque and large turbo spool.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
When you have overlap cylinder pressure is bled off. Big camshafts without enough Lsa bleed off more than the same camshaft with more lsa. Lack of cylinder pressure causes turbos to spool slower. So the right cam will spool bigger chargers and the wrong one will make you want to change chargers.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I jumped on the bash on greg bandwagon for one reason and one reason only...get him to talk or get him to leave...and i wanted him to talk...its blatantly.obvious that there is more going on behind the scenes that maybe only a handful of people know about, let alone know the depths of...

And he did start talking, he's been explaining his ideas and reasoning and sharing decent tech (like cam specs, serioisly...) and also getting into different aspects that rearely ever get discussed at length at all, like N2O...and funnier yet, that once he started explaining shit, all of a sudden peeps are like, oh...that makes sense....

It funny to me that no one else has put 2+2 together here...
For one, I rarely (if at all) see you post any "real negativity" or downright slander about anyone who stands against you, warranted or not.

Secondly, No one who is "sponsored" takes this kind of time to put a car together...
There is always two sides to any situation...and its impossible to please everyone all the time.

Greg...you may be an internet cowboy, and who here really knows what's getting skewed and taken out of context and blown out of proportions, but here's the deal... you're a hell of alot more than what some of the keyboard warriors want to give you credit for.

I'm glad youre diggin in here and putting the time in to explain your thoughts, your build and your program.

Keep at it Greg

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
When you have overlap cylinder pressure is bled off. Big camshafts without enough Lsa bleed off more than the same camshaft with more lsa. Lack of cylinder pressure causes turbos to spool slower. So the right cam will spool bigger chargers and the wrong one will make you want to change chargers.

Thanks for clarifying :thumb:

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
I jumped on the bash on greg bandwagon for one reason and one reason only...get him to talk or get him to leave...and i wanted him to talk...its blatantly.obvious that there is more going on behind the scenes that maybe only a handful of people know about, let alone know the depths of...

And he did start talking, he's been explaining his ideas and reasoning and sharing decent tech (like cam specs, serioisly...) and also getting into different aspects that rearely ever get discussed at length at all, like N2O...and funnier yet, that once he started explaining shit, all of a sudden peeps are like, oh...that makes sense....

It funny to me that no one else has put 2+2 together here...
For one, I rarely (if at all) see you post any "real negativity" or downright slander about anyone who stands against you, warranted or not.

Secondly, No one who is "sponsored" takes this kind of time to put a car together...
There is always two sides to any situation...and its impossible to please everyone all the time.

Greg...you may be an internet cowboy, and who here really knows what's getting skewed and taken out of context and blown out of proportions, but here's the deal... you're a hell of alot more than what some of the keyboard warriors want to give you credit for.

I'm glad youre diggin in here and putting the time in to explain your thoughts, your build and your program.

Keep at it Greg

Thanks . I have been at this deal for longer then some hero's have had drivers lic.

A few of us that have standing in NHRA put it on the line to get diesels in to NHRA classes

That group is as follows Myself Charlie Stewart , Mike Woods and last but most importantly Gale Banks.

It was an honor to set in Gales Board room with Wally Parks , and Mike and Charlie on conference The powers that be at NHRA resisted change and with our passion laid out on the table Wally made it happen .

The vast Majority of Diesel performance enthusiast are not drunken hillbilly's. But other forums have taken to encouraging this stereotype. I raced the very first Pro Mod diesel event ( TS ) in a truck I built while my gas buddy's laughed at me for doing it. three years later I was ask to come and drive at TS again in the second DR performance truck after one of the drivers lic had expired. That event was the first event in history that was douch bagged out by people that were just doing what was being encouraged. Remember the Barf Cart.

Look at events like Schieds and others outlaw events , its more about the party then real racing. When one sanction body started enforcing the rules, and discouraging the drunks , they were the bad guys and many lies were told about them. On a forum controlled by Mods you can't reply or even take up for them , of you be chastised Then the other Sanction body started doing the same . Well hell we can't have this , we need our own events.

This destructive action by a very few member of the diesel world , people that don't even race, they are there for the party is killing what could have been huge. The big mainstream manufactures ran.

I started a thread years ago about the diesel engine as an alternative power plant was well received . I was getting PM's and valued questions and excited mainstream people interested in this concept

Then the out of control people started , A leader of the other forum said "Three Two One " and the people that say they love this sport started making it look like a bunch of idiots in the eyes of the world

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH

You know as well as anybody that isn't the whole truth. While excessive overlap may hurt turbocharged performance, that's not what bleeds off compression. It is the degree at which the intake valve closes on the compression stroke. You obviously can't change one spec without changing another, but you know that already.

That explains why Greg is running 19:1 comp, he stated earlier in one of his threads the IC was 40-45° atdc, IIRC. Also explains why he stated a soft tq range under 2200rpm. Obviously for a race engine this is ideal. While he may have a high CR, I doubt his cranking comp isn't much more than a stock motor.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Greg, the truth will set you free, Baffling folks with your BS does not make you brilliant....

Just be thankful that guys with integrity don't get on here and set the record straight with the truth.... I'm sure most all you listed would have different views as to what really happened over the years. Matter of fact most can be found on other sites...But their professional nature keeps them at bay, and the conflict off the net.

Be thankful for that Greg.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
You know as well as anybody that isn't the whole truth. While excessive overlap may hurt turbocharged performance, that's not what bleeds off compression. It is the degree at which the intake valve closes on the compression stroke. You obviously can't change one spec without changing another, but you know that already.

That explains why Greg is running 19:1 comp, he stated earlier in one of his threads the IC was 40-45° atdc, IIRC. Also explains why he stated a soft tq range under 2200rpm. Obviously for a race engine this is ideal. While he may have a high CR, I doubt his cranking comp isn't much more than a stock motor.

this is the difference in mechanical and static compression ratio.

The two events that make the most difference in a diesel , is the open of the Exhaust and the close of the intake. both have effects on the how the power band looks . The other two events are significant and a little more forgiving.

The intake event closure dictates when air flow stops and when compression starts. The idea point is not constant, it changes with rpm. Another factor is cylinder head flow . The better the head the moves the ideal point as well.

I lean towards working the intake track as had as possible . I try to be as aggressive in ramp rates as practically possible. The short story is to pack as high a .200 numbers as possible in as short a .050 of seat timing as possible. This makes a profile act big and small at the same time.
The other trick is intake valve seat angles. Lower seat angles like 30 degrees are great at low flow and longevity. The steeper the seat like 45 degrees work with higher lift flow numbers. In extreme seat angles like 55 degrees you really move air at lifts above .200 and kill low lift. This ultra high seat angles require Copper Beryllium seats or the safer alloy Molstar 90. These are the trick to moves as much air as possible up high and trick the motor in to seeing a shorter duration
The more aggressive the cam profile the more you lean on the rest of the valve train . In extreme race only profiles they sound like thrashing machines but this is normal . a little bit of a ramble , but pick out the parts you want to remember.

I run higher compression to effect high rpm s. as Rpms go up the amount of air per stroke goes down. Mechanical compression ratio is a simple mechanical advantage . The smaller the combustion chamber at TDC compared to swept volume, the bigger the motor appears to expanding gasses.

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Greg, the truth will set you free, Baffling folks with your BS does not make you brilliant....

Just be thankful that guys with integrity don't get on here and set the record straight with the truth....
I'm sure most all you listed would have different views as to what really happened over the years. Matter of fact most can be found on other sites...But their professional nature keeps them at bay, and the conflict off the net.

Be thankful for that Greg.

And since you're not one of them, maybe you should just STFU

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
And since you're not one of them, maybe you should just STFU

Seriously though! Greg isn't, for the most part, talking about a street king motor. He's talking about an extremely high performance motor. So will everything he's explaining correspond with your, or anyone else's, street build, hell no! So quit assuming this guys full of shit and causing an issue just because others don't agree.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Really!

And just how fast has the great one been? Not bogus time slips but a real deal pass. Wade has the same ego, and it gets him in the same trouble. But he has a car (and had a truck) that is fast.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
One other thing

I have had nitrous on more stuff than Greg has owned!!!! Anyone who knows me will agree. Motorcycles, boats, dragsters, trucks, cars, tractors, go carts, scooters and god only knows what else. The difference is (I) don't fill the need to tell everyone and try to baffle them with BS!

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Thanks . I have been at this deal for longer then some hero's have had drivers lic.

A few of us that have standing in NHRA put it on the line to get diesels in to NHRA classes

That group is as follows Myself Charlie Stewart , Mike Woods and last but most importantly Gale Banks.

It was an honor to set in Gales Board room with Wally Parks , and Mike and Charlie on conference The powers that be at NHRA resisted change and with our passion laid out on the table Wally made it happen .

The vast Majority of Diesel performance enthusiast are not drunken hillbilly's. But other forums have taken to encouraging this stereotype. I raced the very first Pro Mod diesel event ( TS ) in a truck I built while my gas buddy's laughed at me for doing it. three years later I was ask to come and drive at TS again in the second DR performance truck after one of the drivers lic had expired. That event was the first event in history that was douch bagged out by people that were just doing what was being encouraged. Remember the Barf Cart.

Look at events like Schieds and others outlaw events , its more about the party then real racing. When one sanction body started enforcing the rules, and discouraging the drunks , they were the bad guys and many lies were told about them. On a forum controlled by Mods you can't reply or even take up for them , of you be chastised Then the other Sanction body started doing the same . Well hell we can't have this , we need our own events.

This destructive action by a very few member of the diesel world , people that don't even race, they are there for the party is killing what could have been huge. The big mainstream manufactures ran.

I started a thread years ago about the diesel engine as an alternative power plant was well received . I was getting PM's and valued questions and excited mainstream people interested in this concept

Then the out of control people started , A leader of the other forum said "Three Two One " and the people that say they love this sport started making it look like a bunch of idiots in the eyes of the world

That statement is dead on. There are people with influence in this sort that do not deserve it. They simply stumbled into it and toted the party line so to speak, they have no opinion of there own they just follow the forum collective. I got blasted for chastising a guy who wanted a smoke tune way back in 08, I was immediately put in the cross hairs of half the duramax community, many of which were well know tuners. Funny how 99% of those guys now hate smoke and especially smoke tunes. I tired to tell them that negative attention is not what we wanted, it would lead to regulation of the sport, look where we are now...:mad:

I'm not one of those bandwagon sheep so to speak (not talking about you Mike), I try to look at the whole picture and the people involved. I have followed your career for years Greg and I can say that the haters, I have zero clue who they are so your doing something right. Steer the course...

Haters gonna hate...

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
And just how fast has the great one been? Not bogus time slips but a real deal pass. Wade has the same ego, and it gets him in the same trouble. But he has a car (and had a truck) that is fast.
Pretty sure he's been legitimately fast once or twice...its that third time that's a bitch
:spit:

I sure would like to have Wade on here posting away...double the trouble double the fun!
;)
I have had nitrous on more stuff than Greg has owned!!!! Anyone who knows me will agree. Motorcycles, boats, dragsters, trucks, cars, tractors, go carts, scooters and god only knows what else. The difference is (I) don't fill the need to tell everyone and try to baffle them with BS!

Did you ever give a snail a shot of the juice? Cuz you know there is an animated movie about that...its called "TURBO" and its about a snail who got sucked into a hot rods cowl induction hood intake during an illegal street race, he got into the engine and doused in N2O and then spit out the exhaust, and he got super speed! Now I'm wondering if that was your pet and they changed the names and details of the incident to protect the innocent?
:joker:

Dood, I've ALWAYS liked your posts man! You've ALWAYS seemed totally legit Jeff, what gives with your beef with Greg?

I'll say the same basic thing to you, as I did him...and thats, prove it...
Prove him wrong, prove him to be anything other than what he says...
He admits he comes off arrogant, he admits that there is some bad blood between him and an elite group of others in the sport, he admits his rail is having issue that they are working out...so he likes to over fill out his signature...big deal

If I had accomplishments like that, I'd probably be listing them too, its something to be proud of, even if a person was just a part of it...so maybe he embellishes his involvement here and there...big deal again, who here doesn't sweeten a story...it doesn't change what he has done, and to be quite fair and honest, that's fairly substantial list

I can think of a few people with extravagant sigs, listing every part put on their "custom truck build" right down to hid lighting, bed liner and plastidip this and that...;)

We all know he is, or comes off as arrogant, so what, arrogance often gets confused for confidence...and sometimes confidence is a mask...

He does things differently and he's going after lofty goals, not really reinventing the wheel here, hes just going against traditional standards and looking for a new groove...so let him

And I'll leave you all with this..."what if" that's pretty much already been said by Phinny...
"What if" Greg finds a groove, what if he starts shattering records again? What then, how is all the banter all the shitshow of angst and hate going to reflect on those who spewed it?

He's been fast before and he's been fast in this rail already...maybe it would be better to be a little more careful how you want to slander him and put him down, bcuz you very well, and very soon, could be stuck trying to eat your words with your boot stuffed square in your mouth...and all the "you cants" and the "that's not going to work" and name calling will come full circle to those who said it

He's got the idea, he's got the car, so let him work the bugs out and bash on him later if it doesn't pan out...honestly, considering all the unorthodox theory he is trying to put into practice and make work, he has accomplished quite a bit this year

You all need to remember that you don't gain shit from success, but an ego, its through failure that we learn and its through continual attempts, failure after failure that big things happen and the game changes...

Hiw many failed inventions did Divinci create...How many kites do you think Ol Ben Franklin flew in thunderstorms, how ridiculed do you think that guy was for that, thank God he didn't give up, eh?

Hey, I still have my reservations with what Greg says, but not much.
And HE IS taking the time and giving pretty thorough explanations, that make sense once explained...

He has already described some of the hardship he has encountered simply trying to get this thing off Jack stands and get it to the track and consistently consistant...and it sounds like he's dumped a considerable amount of his personal finances into the program to do so...so lets roll back on the sponsor BS, and while we're at it maybe lend a shard of respect for a man that has put his own money on the line for this to get goin

PEOPLE!
You think he wants to see it on stands...? Seriously, one thing about these guys, is they want to be at the track, in the seat and moving levers makin things go...the last place Greg (or any of us) want to see that rail is in the shop on stands...Hell, I bet Greg would run a Pinto down the 1320 just for shits and giggles...he wants to be at the track, guys...in his rail making good passes and feeling accomplished and validated, just like the rest of us

Life is too simple and too short for this shit...:angel:

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
this is the difference in mechanical and static compression ratio.

The two events that make the most difference in a diesel , is the open of the Exhaust and the close of the intake. both have effects on the how the power band looks . The other two events are significant and a little more forgiving.

The intake event closure dictates when air flow stops and when compression starts. The idea point is not constant, it changes with rpm. Another factor is cylinder head flow . The better the head the moves the ideal point as well.

I lean towards working the intake track as had as possible . I try to be as aggressive in ramp rates as practically possible. The short story is to pack as high a .200 numbers as possible in as short a .050 of seat timing as possible. This makes a profile act big and small at the same time.
The other trick is intake valve seat angles. Lower seat angles like 30 degrees are great at low flow and longevity. The steeper the seat like 45 degrees work with higher lift flow numbers. In extreme seat angles like 55 degrees you really move air at lifts above .200 and kill low lift. This ultra high seat angles require Copper Beryllium seats or the safer alloy Molstar 90. These are the trick to moves as much air as possible up high and trick the motor in to seeing a shorter duration
The more aggressive the cam profile the more you lean on the rest of the valve train . In extreme race only profiles they sound like thrashing machines but this is normal . a little bit of a ramble , but pick out the parts you want to remember.

I run higher compression to effect high rpm s. as Rpms go up the amount of air per stroke goes down. Mechanical compression ratio is a simple mechanical advantage . The smaller the combustion chamber at TDC compared to swept volume, the bigger the motor appears to expanding gasses.

ramp rates are as big a factor in a camshaft working properly for a given application as duration, lift.... anything :thumb:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl

I do know that and gave a simplified partial answer. The valve timing event,duration and lsa would determine the amount of bleed off of compression. It is more complicated then meets the eye. The really bad part of the camshaft selection for Diesels is that nobody wants to disclose the information. If you can get a duration and lift number out of one if them you are doing very good. That only tells you a little piece of the story.