Nice truck, maybe a good deal

Tjmaxx

Jun 7, 2014
I emailed them yesterday but after they closed so hopefully I will find out more tomorrow. I could get into this truck for less per month than my current truck, and actually this one has more options than my xlt 150. I’m sure maintenance and fuel cost would end up making both vehicles cost the same per month. What do you think this truck would average mpg? Assuming it’s not too heavily modded

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Deal with boring for now , until you get on your feet $ wise , take care of family first like you are doing ! There will always be trucks out there . Good luck !

Tjmaxx

Jun 7, 2014
It’s not necessarily money issue more so I am cheap. I always buy the wife a nice car (currently m series Bmw) and I by used. I just can’t justify huge payments on myself, it makes me sick. She wants me to buy a new truck but I just can’t bring myself to do it.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
I emailed them yesterday but after they closed so hopefully I will find out more tomorrow. I could get into this truck for less per month than my current truck, and actually this one has more options than my xlt 150. I’m sure maintenance and fuel cost would end up making both vehicles cost the same per month. What do you think this truck would average mpg? Assuming it’s not too heavily modded

Those wheels and tires scare me ,might need $2000 for wheels and tires right of the bat , they wont pass inspection in PA , and I noticed they warn you with the listing of , Over sized wheels and tires , to cover themselves ! Could need $1000 in front end work , provided front dif and t case , eng and trany is ok ! Alot of us on this site are able to throw $ at a truck to get it where we want it , you may not be at that point yet , so just be very careful !

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Those wheels and tires scare me ,might need $2000 for wheels and tires right of the bat , they wont pass inspection in PA , and I noticed they warn you with the listing of , Over sized wheels and tires , to cover themselves ! Could need $1000 in front end work , provided front dif and t case , eng and trany is ok ! Alot of us on this site are able to throw $ at a truck to get it where we want it , you may not be at that point yet , so just be very careful !

Not necessarily true. ALL dealers here even new dealerships have gotten into putting wheels and tires sometimes even lifts in teucks they’re selling for the simple reason that they look better. They can sell them for more money. And they get more trucks moving because of that. What’s gonna catch your eye? A bone stock truck or one that has nice wheels and new tires on it? I like the wheels not so much the mud tires. If you do look at it see how much it’s been cranked. If it’s just a little bit cranked you should be okay but listen for ball joints and bushings and other noises and worn out parts.

Tjmaxx

Jun 7, 2014
Yea I understand. I’m not a huge fan of the tires but I really like the wheels and the stance. Honestly I’ve always loved the “older diesels” so I think I’m just drooling over this truck. The practical thing to do would be to keep my truck but I only keep trucks for 2-3 years as I get bored. I’m at a little over 2 1/2 years on my current truck and I’m getting the itch. I went in back in September to buy a brand new ram ecodiesel and the dealership wouldn’t honor the online price so I left. Went to ford to buy a new ecoboost f150 sport, super sharp truck but I looked at the payments and just couldn’t see myself paying those kind of payments for any truck. I only buy when I know I’m getting a good deal and my trade in is positive equity. But if I bought a new truck I’d still probably get bored in 3 years or less and I’d be upside down on it. I’d love myself and old 7.3 powerstroke but I know the lack of luxury would get old fast and the wife would hate it.

Tjmaxx

Jun 7, 2014
Not necessarily true. ALL dealers here even new dealerships have gotten into putting wheels and tires sometimes even lifts in teucks they’re selling for the simple reason that they look better. They can sell them for more money. And they get more trucks moving because of that. What’s gonna catch your eye? A bone stock truck or one that has nice wheels and new tires on it? I like the wheels not so much the mud tires. If you do look at it see how much it’s been cranked. If it’s just a little bit cranked you should be okay but listen for ball joints and bushings and other noises and worn out parts.

That’s what this dealer does, they mod all the trucks and jeeps. They seem to move a lot of volume too. I’d probably try and bring it to a diesel mechanic if I got serious. I’m thinking it might be sold though since I couldn’t find it on the lot...

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
That lbz will suit you well. Ditch the tires for some Toyo proxes or 420s. As far as the front end. My old lbz was lowered with 22x12s and 305s. It doesn’t have to be cranked as long as you don’t mind some possible rubbing or a bit of sawing.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
I was talking about how it looks like the wheels and tires stick out past the fenders ! I have seen many new truck dealers with new lifted trucks with larger than oem tires , but I cant remember any sticking out past the fenders 3 in ! If you can get it inspected where you live that way , thats great !

Tjmaxx

Jun 7, 2014
I won’t need to have it inspected in Illinois. And actually there’s no diesel emissions either in Illinois. Unfortunately when I had my powerstroke I lived in Wisconsin and had diesel emissions which sucked having to swap exhaust and sensors and remove the tune to pass emissions. The only things I don’t like about my current truck is the cloth seats, I had a larger with leather heated seats before so that’d be nice. Also I know people rave about how great the ecoboost tows and it definitely does compared to other half tons but I absolutely hate towing my 27 foot snowmobile trailer with it. Im sure this truck would do it much better. It’s not power I’m lacking but stability with my f150, the wind just moves the truck and trailer around a lot as well as I have to adjust the sleds around a lot so the tongue weight isn’t too much otherwise I sag and feel the bumps a lot.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Lol some of you guys crack me up...

We bought my dads 08 lmm with 296k on it, 330+ currently. It’s made several trips from Idaho to Arizona pulling a 37’ toy hauler. It was clean and didn’t look beat, turns out it was a hotshot truck and the guy took very good care of it. I would take it across country and never worry a bit.

Tires and wheels are subjective, what one person likes another hates. So who gives a shit about the things that can easily be changed/swapped:thumb:

The truck seems reasonably priced, if it’s as clean in person as it is in the ad I’d go for it.

Tjmaxx

Jun 7, 2014
Well that last truck sold. Probably a good thing cause I heard some poor reviews of that dealership. I stopped to look at another one they have 2006 lbz 4 door long bed loaded Ltz. It was $18k with 285k miles, rockers starting to rot a bit, and it used to have a stack through the bed. Overall didn’t seem to be a good deal.

Running through Craigslist I found this truck. I’m thinking maybe a member here? Seems clean. Only down side is I’d have to try to sell my truck outright or Carmax, and I’d have to try and get a loan on a 12 year old truck. Anyone successful getting a loan through a bank or credit union on a older truck? And any experience with carmax or other dealers selling a truck outright? Thanks

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Nice truck. My credit union loans nada value on vehicles all the way back to 99. I think some others do too. Guessing you’re set on a crew cab? Few things to worry about on that truck. 1. The bed liner on the rockers and stuff. Could be used to hide rot and you’ll never know. 2. The trans. Could be lying about the build and converter. Or could be a suncoast converter in a stock trans. Would need receipts to verify. Figure out who tuned it too. Tunes may be locked.

Tjmaxx

Jun 7, 2014
Yea I was thinking the same thing. Either he’s honest and took great care of it or not and it’s hiding rust. I’m not huge on the back rack and light bar so I’d probably remove that.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Keep in mind that the rockers on these trucks typically rust from the inside out. As it is, it's probably fine considering he coated them all in 2012. If it truly has a built trans, then the cost seems to be a good deal to me.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Just be careful , the costs can add up quick ! Some of us dont have the luxury of being able to buy a fathers truck or an uncles truck that was bought new and meticulously maintained , sure that would be great . We have to go on what we can find out on our own with some help from experts on this site !

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just be careful , the costs can add up quick ! Some of us dont have the luxury of being able to buy a fathers truck or an uncles truck that was bought new and meticulously maintained , sure that would be great . We have to go on what we can find out on our own with some help from experts on this site !

You do realize thats not really anyone's primary purpose for being on here, right?

The only real way you can accomplish finding a good truck is to do it yourself (hopefully), or with a trusted mechanic you can actually take it to. Its certainly not by asking opinions on an internet forum, where the people arent there actually looking at the truck with you.