LB7: Newbie

Jesse James

Jul 24, 2016
Hi everyone : i bought my 2001 silverado ls new. It has lb7 duramax, Allison trans 4x4 extended cab. I'm currently at 203,000 miles. I use mobile 1 truck diesel oil and napa gold oil filter and napa gold fuel filter. K&n air filter in a stock air box. I run 265/75r16 tires. Motor is stock. Repair parts - water pump, 1 injector fuel line, all brake lines, pads 3 times, e brake shoes1 time, both e brake cables 1 time, both front hubs, both batteries 3rd set, both window operators 1 time, differential and transfer case fluids 2 times. Well that's all sense truck was new. But i have a problem i need help with.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
So original injectors, 15 years old, thats gotta be a record.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Welcome!

Yeah, if those are original injectors, that's really unusual. Overall, it seems that truck is in pretty good shape if that is the total maintenance done since new.

So, what's the problem you need help with?

Jesse James

Jul 24, 2016
Problem is in the message screen check coolant level flashes then engine overheat flashes and temp gauge pegs 260 deg. The check coolant level doesn't always coincide with the engine temp messages. This problem goes away as quickly as it comes. Coolant level is full. Engine is not hot. So, i have two issues. All i can come up with is got to be electrical but where to start?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So it isn't actually pushing coolant out or boiling over? Because both of those symptoms can be caused by head gasket failure.

Assuming it is not head gasket failure, I would look at the wiring between the bale connectors (big plugs on the driver's side of the motor) and the two sensors in question. The harness can sometimes rub through, and if it is shorting, it can cause the warning lights. If the bale connectors have been used a lot (like from installing or removing a power chip), sometimes the pins come loose and push back a bit. Make sure they are all the same height, if you suspect it has been messed with.