New TV's - Need Info

Smokum

May 21, 2010
Well, the time has come that I need a new TV. Not sure what is the best brand anymore or type. Been a long time since I've bought one, so I'm out of the loop on what is the latest and greatest and what the best bang for the buck is. So, help me out. LED, Plasma, or LCD - 3D and Internet? Pro's & Cons. Brand. What to spend on what type. Just looking to be somewhat educated before I go out shopping for one.

Thanks in advance.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
lol this is funny, i jsut spent about 6 hours yesterday trying to figure out a new tv for me as well.

so far ive decided plazma is out as its not as nice in bright lit areas and high usage due to the dimmer lit screen, more glare and higher heat output. It also seems that a constrast ratio of 100,000:1 and up is what you want if you want that "life like look" on tv, 200,000:1 are the ones im looking at. 3d isnt all that cool or worth it for me nor is the wifi deal but it would be nice for netflix and what not.

ive been looking at VIZIO, Sharp, and LG for the 55-60" tv's. the VIZIO i can get in a LED for my price range and since my 32" flatscreeen HDTV that ive had for 7 years is a vizio and not had one issue, thats what im leaning toward

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I have a mitsubitchi 62" dlp and love it, I also have a Sony 52" LCD with all the bells and whistles which I think I overpayed (2k) because I now realize I hate that that 240hz crap and don't use any of those extra feautures, but I do like how I can control it with my ps3. Then I have 2 of them vizio plasmas , a 42 and a 5?, I guess those were a nice bang for the buck , but I hate how much heat they radiate and the 42 inch is showing signs of the pixle burning thing. Plasmas are very heavy compared to LCD and DLP...they also consume mo powa'... I think 3d tvs are gay and overpriced. The DLP are a thing of the past. If I were to buy another big screen it would be a LED LCD. Those suckers are bright and look real nice. As far as brands go I love mitsubitchy and Sony , not because I have their crap but because I think they make a quality product that last!

And yes I have all them damn tvs but only use the 62" , the rest Seldomly get used because I don't like them as much as my DLP:D

Smokum

May 21, 2010
Thanks for the input. I looked around some yesterday as well. I decided I didn't want to spend a ton of time researching, so I figured I'd ask here. Glad I did.

Teabagger, it's funny your comment about spending money on TV's. I am the exact opposite. I have a 60'' DLP in my living room right now that is an old room mates. He moved out and didn't need it so he said keep it until he does. He also left a 27'' tube that I use as a spare. That being said, the biggest TV I actuall own is a 19'' Tube that is about 10 year old. :roflmao: I'm think my friend may be wanting his TV back soon, so I figured I better get my own. A 19'' tube would like going back to a 6.2L from a Duramax.

I was leaning towards an LED as well. The plasma's are hot like you guys say and don't have the life of an LED. Picture quality is decent for my liking, but not the best. The one thing I do like is you can see the picture much better from a side view on a plasma that an LCD. Don't know if it is like that on the LED's though. The LCD's just seem like old technology. I'd like to buy one and have it last for a good amount of time.

That being said, probably about anything I buy will be better than what I actually own myself right now.:spit:

Keep up the input!

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Thanks for the input. I looked around some yesterday as well. I decided I didn't want to spend a ton of time researching, so I figured I'd ask here. Glad I did.

Teabagger, it's funny your comment about spending money on TV's. I am the exact opposite. I have a 60'' DLP in my living room right now that is an old room mates. He moved out and didn't need it so he said keep it until he does. He also left a 27'' tube that I use as a spare. That being said, the biggest TV I actuall own is a 19'' Tube that is about 10 year old. :roflmao: I'm think my friend may be wanting his TV back soon, so I figured I better get my own. A 19'' tube would like going back to a 6.2L from a Duramax.

I was leaning towards an LED as well. The plasma's are hot like you guys say and don't have the life of an LED. Picture quality is decent for my liking, but not the best. The one thing I do like is you can see the picture much better from a side view on a plasma that an LCD. Don't know if it is like that on the LED's though. The LCD's just seem like old technology. I'd like to buy one and have it last for a good amount of time.

That being said, probably about anything I buy will be better than what I actually own myself right now.:spit:

Keep up the input!

I had the same issue as you years back when I went to buy a new TV. I ended up with a LCD because at the time that was "newer" technology. The way I looked at it was I watched TV on a old tube 30" so anything was better than that. I tried not to get involved with all the techinical aspects as it blew my mind. I ended up with a LCD Sony Bravia. Had it ever since with not one issue. I just recently went and bought a 46" Panasonic Plasma with the wifi hookup for Netflix. Serves me well and is in a well lit area, doesn't bother me really. Then last night we went and bought a 40" LCD Toshiba for our bedroom. We didn't need another $1000 TV so we went this route ay $449.00. Nothing I have mentioned is by any means high dollar but take into account where you are now and what your needs are before going out and blowing a wad on a fancy TV that you may not use to it's potential.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
In my experience with both LCD and Plasma, the plasma is hands down the best picture. I never noticed a problem with glare or had any trouble seeing the picture in a well lit room.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Not sure were you live but if go to this website if your close to one of there store they have good deals nbs.com. Samsung 60" plasma 3D with wifi has glare free screen is kick ass also vizio we have is great.

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
I enjoy watching tv but I dont need it to be like the movie is happening right in front of me, kinda freaks me it if its to clear haha

so I figure out what size I want and wait until I find a smoking deal on one, I dont buy the no name tv's either I buy a brand name I know

I got a 52" half off on black friday

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
Samsung 55 LED. Controls PS3, and Onkyo receiver. Picture is great. Web enabled. Came with the wifi adapter. 1499@ Costco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk from a moving vehicle.

Smokum

May 21, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys.

I agree that the 3D is over rated as I don't think that is something I would ever use. The WiFi thing I could take or leave. I've never done the netflicks thing and I am not a gamer (I think that helps w/ that). So, I don't think I'll pay extra just to have that ability.

I need to stand in front of an LED, an LCD, and a Plasma of the same size and really compare I think. I think the LCD will be out right away. It will probably come down to how much I want to spend between an LED and a Plasma.

Does anyone know if the picture is visible from the side of the TV on and LED like it is with a Plasma? (I know is best to sit in front of the TV, but it is possible from every seat in my Living Room.)

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I have an older 32" VIZIO TV, and am happy with it. The first one messed up after 3 weeks, but I called up and got to speak with the actual manager of VIZIO and worked out a deal where they shipped me a replacement and I then shipped back the failed unit. One of my determining reasons for going with them is they used to be the only made in US TV manufacturer left out there. Also there prices are hard to beat and there picture quality is great for the money. Another thing to keep in mind is AVOID buying it from WAL-MART. If you look most of the time the WAL-MART unit will be a differrent color and have an extra letter or number in the part number for the WAL-MART units. If you compare the WAL-MART one to say the same size TV from a big electronics retailer, you will see for just a few dollars more you will get a much better picture quality. Wal-mart has there own line built cheaper so they can undercut the big chains by a few dollars relaizing most people don't research them to compare the contrast ratios and other specs.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
One of my determining reasons for going with them is they used to be the only made in US TV manufacturer left out there.

Electronics...completely made in the US? Yeah right! They might be assembled in the US....but open it up and I think you'll find that 99.8% of the components are from overseas

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I had a 47" toshiba lcd and it was awesome up until it got stolen:mad: Now i have had a 50" panasonic plasma for alittle over a year and it is sweet also. For the money i wouldn't trade my plasma for anything for the money.

Cbum

Feb 2, 2010
Church Point Louisiana
Much prefer led over lcd better picture quality Better screen on normal as well as HD . Better angle view . We don't have costco here but got a Sam's Club and bought a Visio with all the bells and whistles it was one of the more expensive sets they had but half price of the electronics stores in my area . Tv dvd blureray it does all very well .

I have two older lcd's that came from and audio video store and the cheaper bigger led has a much better picture . Can't wait to see what the future technology brings . Only two years or so seperates these sets and the differance is amazing.

Grizzly5531

Super Slow
Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
http://www.vizio.com/3d-smart-tvs/m3d550sr.html

This is what I currently have its an lcd screen but it's edge lit with led's so the edges are the same brightness as the center and the viewing angle is also much wider than a standard lcd. I like the internet feature for Pandora and youtube is nice on a T.V. I bought it at Sam's club about a year ago for $1600. They have the best deals on T.V.'s if you have one near you.

I'd like to add I haver never had a problem with this T.V. and honestly I have never used the 3D but It is the wave of the future so why not have it.