New to the group. LMM Colorado

Mswoyer

Sep 13, 2016
Colorado
Hi,
Love the site. Lots of useful info. I have a problem with my truck. Popped a trans line and it limped me. I towed it home. Found the line replacement, topped it of and cleared the codes. Was fine for a day and now I'm stuck in 3rd. So it's parked. I dropped the pan and valve body. P0776 says it's a stuck solenoid in one way or another.
Has anyone ever experienced this? If so please help.
I'm at work I'll post codes when I get home.

What am I looking at a new VB, new solenoids, or rebuild or new tyranny.

Love my truck but I'm upset that such a reliable transmission failed completely because of a line failure. And this is a HUGE financial burger to eat.

I'm a trained mechanic I've rebuilt marine trannys before... never an Allison tho.

Note
Fluid smells burnt. Pickup filter was chunky with friction material.
Like I said I'll post the other codes in a few hrs.
Thx in advance.

Mswoyer

Sep 13, 2016
Colorado
Called the insurance company, They sent a Flatbed. Neutral up and down the ramp. Hose flopped down rolling off the flatbed. 1 mile tow home.

Mswoyer

Sep 13, 2016
Colorado
P0113
P0102
P0729
P0848
P0873
P0876
P2771
P2453
The above codes were present at the time of line repair. Replaced the Lower trans line to cooler and refilled Dex6 At at temp. Cleared the codes. It did a little relearn procedure at the dash... drove fine for about a day. I could get up to speed on the hwy, everything was great. Then started getting P0776 and intermittent P2724. And it drove like it was stuck in 3rd only. And 35-40mph...

Love the site, I've lurked around for a while and learned a ton of things about my truck. Thanks for all the knowledge but I'm in a bind here and couldn't find a familiar situation so I had to post. Thanks in advance for being respectful, in regards to advice and comments.

Oh... almost forgot. I have a 2009 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD lift and 35's. 122K, no warranty. No tuner,just bugger tierods, and a brass bleeder screw on the filter primer...and a TV for my kids. I don't romp on my truck never even done a burnout. I granny it and pull less than 7klbs. I've had the truck a little over a year and it drove fine, actually I love it.

..line popped at hwy speed, I didn't know it when it happened of course, Truck jerked on me and picked up RPM and lost speed. At that time it went into super slow mode, got out seen oil completely covered everything under my truck. I pushed it into a parking spot, in N end on about a 1000'. Called flatbed tow.

Anyone else encounter a domino effect of tranny issues from a badly crimped line.? Kinda upset about it being the Allison has such a great reputation. I'm thinking maybe I can replace the solenoids, or the entire VB and filter pickup and be good? Only because I read that burnt oil is OK in the Ally? However I'm prepared to eat it and for an overhaul kit. Kinda looking for some direction here.
Thanks guys.
-Mick

whiterock06

Nov 4, 2015
Sorry to hear you have trans trouble welcome from Wyo don't know of any shops I trust in area but I sure love my sun coast trans

06 Crewcab long bed Lbz

Mswoyer

Sep 13, 2016
Colorado
Yeah man... bummer. I'm hung up on either a new VB (or solenoids), pickup filter, and fluid.... or the sure kill and doing an overhaul and calling it good.
My logic behind the warranty VB is if it is the clutches.. and the VB cloggs up again. I can do the rebuild and change out my warranty VB. If errors and runability issues reoccur.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Sounds like you burned it up when the trans line popped. Time for a rebuild I'd bet. I cut a line when it slipped out of its clip once but I caught it almost immediately before it even coded...

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
It does sound like you toasted it. Well, hey if you can manage it…it's a good reason/time to get a built trans. But if you don't have plans of adding more power a stock one will do fine and you can find used ones for 1k or less.

Mswoyer

Sep 13, 2016
Colorado
Where?^
Allison told me 4089$, local shop said 25-3500$ installed, I'm seeing kits for 700-2400$. Haven't checked the yards yet nor this site either. Still kinda in the acceptance phase of my catastrophe, and exploring my options in a cost effective way.

Mswoyer

Sep 13, 2016
Colorado
Thanks a million bud. I replied to it. The body looks different.. you think it's a 6 speed and it'll take? Haven't pried too far into swap ability of the Ally.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
That guy has never ran that trans so he doesn't even know if it's good other than word of mouth, looks like it came out of a mud buggy to me but for 700 bucks if it's junk you can resell it for a core for the same price, give or take. Date code is may of 06. May have to swap bell housing but not a big deal.

Not trying to ruin a sale for him, but if you want a known good trans, find a known yard or shop with one for sale or spend the money and get a built one. I'd pay the few extra pennies and have it done or you may spend way more than you wanted.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I was actually hoping for pics/build thread of an LMM installed in a Colorado, but now I see he lives in Colorado and owns an LMM. Darn.

For $4000-some dollars like you were quoted for a stocker, Id buy a rebuild kit from Evan (Limitless), and good converter, and have the trans built.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I was actually hoping for pics/build thread of an LMM installed in a Colorado, but now I see he lives in Colorado and owns an LMM. Darn.

For $4000-some dollars like you were quoted for a stocker, Id buy a rebuild kit from Evan (Limitless), and good converter, and have the trans built.

X2...

Mswoyer

Sep 13, 2016
Colorado
Yeah... forgive me guys, didn't mean to throw any body off with the title.

Soo, I just need to swap the bell housing ? And It's a 6er' ?
That's something I can work with, considering a stage 4 kit rebuild myself if it's going to cost me an arm and leg at a shop.