New (to me) LBZ Owner

2007LBZ

Piston Melter
Feb 18, 2017
TN
Hey guys, I'm new here but I've been lurking the site for a few months during my search for a truck. I've finally pulled the trigger on one and I'm going to finalize everything on Wednesday. The truck is a 07 classic with 112k miles, ECSB in Silver Birch Metallic with a gray interior. It's an LS but has basically every option on it - heated leather, console, etc. It's a really nice truck, it is however starting to bubble and show a very small amount of rust on the cab corners, but for the price I'm paying I figure I can justify a replacement if needed.

It's nearly stock - the only mods are an AirDog (not sure on the model), 4" exhaust w/ axle dump, and S&B intake. I've already got a long list of mods I'm wanting to do to it but any suggestions are welcome. The EGR is still intact, so that's coming off ASAP. And I'll of course be doing the regular preventative mods - PCV reroute, pump rub kit, transgo jr, etc.

I'm coming from an 04 Tahoe - so it's a similar platform for me. This will be my first diesel though, so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I've spent a long time researching though, so it shouldn't be too bad.

2007LBZ

Piston Melter
Feb 18, 2017
TN
Here are some pictures:

bljr5.jpg

106iz4h.jpg

Last edited:

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
Congrats on the truck, my next one is going to be a LBZ for sure. My .02 is if you are ditching the EGR, either just go with a blocker plate or go with an aftermarket y bridge and cold side pipe from someone. The awesome thing about the aftermarket Y bridge is that it deletes your EGR, flows better, won't blow out, and is routed for running a compound turbo set up, so if you go that route down the road, that's less $ you have to spend. It's nice because it kills a lot of birds with one stone. EGR is deleted, bigger IC pipe, better performance, set up for compounds.

The regular EGR Deletes and delete tubes in my opinion are pointless if you're going to keep building. You can get by with a blocker plate until you are ready to build. I'm currently learning that the hard way. I wish I had just spent the $ and done the Y bridge from the get go, it would have saved me over $300 in the long run.

Also, in case you didn't know, where you are new to the diesel, your LBZ will need to be tuned with EFI live to disable the EGR, if you remove the EGR, so keep that in mind. It may even need it disabled via EFI live if you do a blocker plate with the LBZ, I'm not 100% sure on that though. My LLY didn't throw a code with the blocker, but the LBZ may?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2007LBZ

Piston Melter
Feb 18, 2017
TN
I plan on going with the HSP 2 piece Y bridge for the EGR delete and EFI/CTS2 bundle from IdahoRob.

While I'm doing the LB7 up pipe I plan to put on the BD driver side manifold and EGT probe to the CTS2

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
Nice! I went with the WCFAB Y bridge myself, heard great things about HSP too though. Just a suggestion to save you some $, I did a LML drivers side manifold instead of the BD. It's just as good, and is a lot cheaper. Brent@LDS (lincoln diesel specialties) is a vendor on here, and has them for $89 on the website. I have a CTS, and I love it. Those CTS2'S look awesome.
I plan on going with the HSP 2 piece Y bridge for the EGR delete and EFI/CTS2 bundle from IdahoRob.

While I'm doing the LB7 up pipe I plan to put on the BD driver side manifold and EGT probe to the CTS2

2007LBZ

Piston Melter
Feb 18, 2017
TN
Nice! I went with the WCFAB Y bridge myself, heard great things about HSP too though. Just a suggestion to save you some $, I did a LML drivers side manifold instead of the BD. It's just as good, and is a lot cheaper. Brent@LDS (lincoln diesel specialties) is a vendor on here, and has them for $89 on the website. I have a CTS, and I love it. Those CTS2'S look awesome.

I like the idea of the EGT port already being there on the BD. Are there any other easy options for mounting a probe?

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
I just drilled and tapped my passenger side OEM manifold while it was still on the truck. Never had used a tap before in my life, and was done in 15 minutes. Over 50k miles since I did that, no issues with it cracking or anything.

2007LBZ

Piston Melter
Feb 18, 2017
TN
Got a ton of stuff ordered today while the XDP President's Day sale was going on... still looking for a few things, may end up buying on amazon/ebay because other stores are priced higher on a lot of it

Transgo Jr
MA pump rub kit
ported fuel rail fitting
edge EGT probe
edge CTS2
Trac bars
efi + tuning / may just have it tuned at MBS or Beans diesel, they're local

2007LBZ

Piston Melter
Feb 18, 2017
TN
Everything but the CTS2, egt probe, efi tuning, lb7 up pipe and trac bars are ordered.

Current part list:
HSP Y bridge and cold side pipe
HSP hot side pipe
HSP mouthpiece
HSP cold air intake - all HSP parts powder coated orange to match
BD manifold
XDP fuel filter delete
XDP crankcase fittings
XDP fuel rail plug
XDP intake heater delete
PPE ported fuel rail fitting
PPE Transfer case brace
Fumoto drain valve for easier (cleaner) oil changes
MA pump rub kit
Suncoast filter loc kit + new internal + external tranny filter
Transgo Jr

Already installed:
3" downpipe
4" exhaust
AirDog lift pump (draw straw, may switch to beans sump)
S&B intake (being replaced with HSP to color match)

Also, I ordered some new headlight housings and a black bow tie since the bow tie is discoloring and the headlights are fogged over.

2007LBZ

Piston Melter
Feb 18, 2017
TN
Got the headlight / marker light housings installed, they are OEM style minus the orange reflector - they look nice and clean. The bow tie looks a lot better as well since the old one was falling apart.

CTS2 + backup camera are installed, next week I have a few days off and I'm going to try and tackle the EGR delete + PCV reroute. Hopefully I'll have time to install the BD manifold as well.

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with installing the transgo jr or pump rub kit so I'm looking around to see what some local shops quote me.