New to Duramax what year to buy?

kchaulin

Jan 15, 2015
I found a nice 2006 with 109k miles on it at a Honda dealership, However,
It has a check engine light on with codes:
101 Mass Air Flow
301 Glow Plugs
401 EGR
Dealer states the code is due to the aftermarket MBRP Exhaust system installed. I don't know if it has had EGR deleted. Everything looked stock under the hood (no exposed air filter etc...)
They said they tried clearing codes but they come back.
I drove it and it runs fantastic. Got back to dealer checked out underneath and there is what looks like a transmission oil line leak going to the cooler. It's leaking onto the skid plate and onto the ground a few drops in the hour I was there...Everything else underneath was dry.
I looked in the center console and found a Hypertech code tool which was unplugged.
I know you guys said to buy something as bone stock as possible.
It appears the previous owner used the truck for towing a 5th wheel trailer because there is a hitch mount in the bed. I'd like to think he used the tuner just for mileage / towing performance.
I liked it cause it's real nice and only 109k miles but, I think I may have to just keep looking for another one...
What are your thoughts on this?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
There are updated trans cooler lines, get them installed. MAF code could be from exhaust, its hard to tell. I would be more worried about the glow plug code... See if its had the updated calibration done for the glow plugs. But from the sounds of it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

If you are worried about mechanical issues, and don't plan on wrenching, get a good extended warranty.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
My thoughts are, what body style and how much?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Frankin_truck

Nov 22, 2013
I really like my lmm now that it is fully deleted but if you can't do that where you live I would buy a Lbz. The 6 speed alli is where it's at over the 5 speed imo :thumb: