New to Duramax Diesel thinking of buying one

lobocharlie

Apr 10, 2011
Albuquerque
Hay everyone new to the forum from NM .
I decided to upgrade from my 1995 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel 4x4 it just rolled 195000 and still starts and runs very good BUT I am going to pass it down to my son as he just got his drivers license.

I want to stay with a Chevy Diesel but need some advise and warnings.
I am thinking of purchasing a 2003 Duramax with 120000 single owner. I think I am getting a great deal for 13,000?

1. What should I be aware of when purchasing a used Duramax?
2. What is the life span of the motor and transmission?
3. I have really no knowledge of the Duramax but I have some knowledge of the 6.5. :)

All your help and advice will be very appreciated. Thanks for your time

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
2003 is an LB7 injectors are an issue...

Life span of the motor and trans is tuff to say, depends on how it has been treated and mantained. But our LB7 is well over 200k and never had an issue minus the injector problems.

The Allison is a pure brute if the truck has been stock all it's life I wouldn't worry about a thing. If the truck has been tuned and ran more than 90 horse over stock settings the 5 spd alli's can burn up the clutches.

The D-Max is a total different animal than the 6.5, they can NOT even be compared. The durability, power, and capabilties of the D-max are much greater than the 6.5. Injectors are the only real issue with the LB7 head gaskets are pretty strong at stock levels there is just nothing to worry about it.

120,000 miles is just gettin broke in for the Duramax engines. Best of luck and welcome tot he site.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
120,000 miles for 13,000 is a great deal i have seen some lb7s in the 375,000 mile relm so if you take care of her she will take care of you are you planning any mods or leave it stock? or does it have mods already

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
A buddy of mine has an 01 lb7 with 400,000 on the original engine and trans. Third set of injectors second pump, and still running strong.

lobocharlie

Apr 10, 2011
Albuquerque
Thanks everyone I just talked to owner and drove it, it is nice. I noticed 2 things. I don't think anything major for it is 7 years old.
1. The one thing is the Oil gauge is not working it is pegged at zero . I know it has pressure because it starts ,runs and makes no tappet noise. The question is can I replace the gauge or do I have to change the whole cluster?
2. At idle it had a little mini surge every now and then? but it didn't miss.
3. I didn't see any leaks , no vibration and lots of power.
4. The complete truck is stock and he has never pulled a 5th wheel.

Last edited:

Dave L Weaver

Apr 5, 2011
Chester County Pa
Thanks everyone I just talked to owner and drove it, it is nice. I noticed 2 things. I don't think anything major for it is 7 years old.
1. The one thing is the Oil gauge is not working it is pegged at zero . I know it has pressure because it starts ,runs and makes no tappet noise. The question is can I replace the gauge or do I have to change the whole cluster?
2. At idle it had a little mini surge every now and then? but it didn't miss.
3. I didn't see any leaks , no vibration and lots of power.
4. The complete truck is stock and he has never pulled a 5th wheel.
It sounds like a ok deal! I ran my lb7 to 300k with only injector work and i think she would still be running fine but i wanted more power so she got a rebuild! U will need the whole cluster i think...and my truck always did that surge to.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
You can replace the cluster stepper motors for cheap. The 03s were a problem.

Check out the link in this thread; http://duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30719

My injectors failed just after I bought the truck (100K km) but I haven't had a problem since (200K km) with the 2 micron filter changed every 2nd oil change and some stanadyne most every tank.

Edit: Welcome to the site :welcome8: