New tires Firestone Transforce AT's

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I I'm biting the bullet and re-sneakering up my truck since the Coopers I have know have less than 2000 miles on them and are nearly bald because like a dumb drunken idiot the tread is scattered about my parking lot by way of dark strips at my shop. Stupid :(

At the cost of over a G-note to replace I gotta grow up.

I like Michelin tires especially the XPS series but cannot justify the cost of $250 bucks a tire right now! The XPS Michelin IMO is the best commercial tire on the market! I have burned threw two sets (4) of them like a asshole. :(

So doing a little searching seeing these tires on a friends of a friends dually, ,I like commercial tires I seen the Firestone Transforce AT's. Not a big fan of Firestone do to that whole roll over incidents they had years ago but for the cost about $150 apiece a commercial tire decent appearance I ordered the tires locally. Of course they're not in stock as they probably don't sell alot being commercial.

So anyone else running these tires ? Likes,disslikes? Run don't do it? It's not to late to run like a scalded dog!

Attachments

• Tire.jpg
    Tire.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 64

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
arent those the tires ford were putting on stock?? if so they last about as long as any other tire on a diesel maybe 15-20000

:dontknow:

I'd hope to get more mileage then that . I know these trucks are heavy up front and rotation is a must although it is a big pain in the ass for me since I have to dissmount remount and balance as I'm running Ultra Wheel Alum rims.

You gotta do what you gotta do to get the mileage. From the reviews I've seen 50k ish or more but I dunno.

Here's one review. But we all know about rag reviews.

http://fourwheeler.automotive.com/88675/129-0805-firestone-transforce-at-tire-test/index.html

Tire Rack individuals give them good reviews except for one guy with a Dodge . A guy that works for me with a Dodge (diesel) no matter what tire he runs he gets crappy life. You really can't take advice from someone with a Dodge anyway after all they bought a Dodge. :D

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
the tread pattern looks exactly the same as the stock 245 bridge stones in my basement...

paying more money to get more mileage out of a tire is stupid in my opinion,,more grip yes but not mileage. ive burned threw enough sets to realize a $100 tires lasts the same or damn close to it as a $250 tire

03maxpower

Jan 20, 2009
somerset, pa
some guys said how good the hankooks were that i bought and i believe them but the short distance i run to work with alot of turns and hills they only lasted me 20 000 and to me that was good for what i did with them but if i ran only highway like im guessing they did im supposing 40 000 wouldnt be out of the question so reviews are only good to you if you do the same type of driving

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
the tread pattern looks exactly the same as the stock 245 bridge stones in my basement...

paying more money to get more mileage out of a tire is stupid in my opinion,,more grip yes but not mileage. ive burned threw enough sets to realize a $100 tires lasts the same or damn close to it as a $250 tire

Looks like the Goodyear Wrangler also. I'm not buying for traction or mileage BUT as always you want to get some life. If a tire is a loser right out of the gate then why bother if you know what I mean.

What I'm looking for in a tire is ride/ noise quality and looks. Something that I've gotten out of 'commercial' tires. That's why I do like the Michelin XPS series. Those tires are whisper quiet and ride excellent something I'm hoping to get out of the Transforce.

Heres a good comparison.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

My only experience is with the XPS rib. Look at the prices of those bitches! :eek:

The biggest help in ride quality is the sidewall . You do have to be careful to soft of a sidewall can make the tire squirrelly. Sometimes controlled by air pressure.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
i sell those tires daily! they work great and wear nice too youll like em!

That's what I like to hear! :thumb:

The other good thing about the Transforce tire is they have a slightly smaller section width which will help in the rear .

Crap I noticed my Tire Rack comparison stopped working,sorry. I'll have to call Ben (duratothemax) my LIL puter helper and asking how to do a screenshot. :rofl:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Crap I noticed my Tire Rack comparison stopped working,sorry. I'll have to call Ben (duratothemax) my LIL puter helper and asking how to do a screenshot. :rofl:

Ctrl + Alt + PrtScn to copy
Open Paint- Ctrl+V to paste
Save- Then post as an attachment

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
They are really nice when new. Tread depth is awesome. Once they get worn down to 50-60% they are road terrain only. For as deep tread as they are, they don't excell offroad at all.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Ok given it a try thanks Kat if it works. :)

The comparison Look at them prices on those Michelins..:eek:

Attachments

• tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
The rest I feel like a kid with a new toy. :D

Attachments

• tires two.jpg
    tires two.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
A lot of the shops I work for use them on their service trucks. They hold up well. The trucks are usually very overloaded and heavy and the guys drive them hard. My step dad runs these on his dodge dually all around and they hold up to his abuse. I think you would be just fine with these tires.

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
michelins are overated imop...you should try to buy a michelin medium or large truck tire its unreal! I like bridgesone/firestone products myself:thumb:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Well I'll let you know this week sometime. There here ready to mount just have to polish my wheels as now is the perfect time with them off.

If I could get my stupid camera to work I'd take some pics. I'll see if I can borrow my kids

Thanks for the info