NEW PRODUCT! Customize your steering wheel controls!!!

Would you be interested in a steering wheel control module?

• Total voters

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Ben could you incorporate this with the new DSP-5 switch you are designing? Say have an external display but be able to switch tunes via steering wheel controls

Cody

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
whats an extremely vague ballpark price look like for something like ?

and i think guys doing dsp with it would be hard because it would need some kind of controller to adjust resistance... unless you use 5 separate buttons

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
Adding the controls is not that difficult, all you need is the clockspring harness and a steering wheel.
Did that on my truck a long time ago, but never found a place to make it work...so no radio or display controls for me just those fancy controls :D

Bobcat

Dec 5, 2008
Can you fix it to where it will answer the phone without having to push the button on the rearview mirror?

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Ford Sync is the system to see what you want in a truck. That is so versatile and they did a nice job on it compared to GM stuff. Cost of GM stuff is unbelieveable for what it is. Have to sit in the Ford and work it then compare it. That's how easy you will get it.

Chromer

Oilburner
May 3, 2008
Northern IL
New product idea that I have been working on and testing. I wanted to get everyone's feedback and interest regarding my latest widget that im planning on releasing.

Of course in order to use this module your truck will have to be a 2003 or newer, and equipped with steering wheel controls.

What this will do is allow you to flip a switch and temporarily "reassign" your steering wheel controls to perform external/universal tasks. There will be 4 outputs on the module that will output +12v when the appropriate steering wheel button is pressed. These +12v outputs can do anything from trigger nitrous solenoids, trigger my TC lockup/unlock controller, or any other +12v relay/source. :cool:

On the 6-speed trucks, this module can even control the Allison tap-shift manual mode. So when you shift the truck into "M" mode, you can upshift and downshift with the volume +/- button, for example.

How many people would be interested in this? Im open to suggestions as well. If I can get a few people seriously interested, I will go ahead and start selling these. :)

thanks
Ben

This is a very, very cool idea. I would be interested

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I got around to working on this again. Couple questions to figure out specifically what people would like to see before I finalize the design.

How many outputs??

Would you like to use the upper [radio] steering wheel buttons or the lower [DIC] buttons? I assume the upper ones since they are easier to reach without looking?

Obviously theres 8 buttons, but I cant imagine people needing 8 different functions. I can think of maybe 3 at the most?

Nitrous trigger, torque converter lockup/unlock trigger, and maybe up-shift/downshift for the 6-speed guys.

changing DSP-5 tunes is possible I guess, but adds complications, and are you REALLY changing tunes that often?

Also there is the question of how people would like the functionality of the switches to be changed (between "factory-controlling-the-radio" and aux function). Obviously you cant have the "volume up" button trigger the lockup controller and increase the volume at the same time.

You could either have a lighted toggle switch to flip between the two modes, or I could do something like when the radio is OFF, the steering wheel controls perform the aux functions, and when the radio is ON, the steering wheel controls perform the factory functions.

Need some input on these things...

Ben

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
I don't use the upper controls at all and what would really be sick would be a manual tap shift for the 5 speed guys instead of having to install the shifter. Now that would be a big seller.
Possible?

DangerDog

Jul 11, 2010
Mesa AZ
I'd be interested in this. Personally I would like to see some sort of toggle (lighted or otherwise) that way I can control when I want to use the auxiliary functions. I would say at the least four outputs, I personally like the ability to expand if necessary so wouldn't mind 8 outputs even. Doesn't mean they all have to be used, but it leaves them open if wanted. I think upper buttons would be best as they don't affect the DIC, so you could still mess with that if needed.

Would definitely be interested in getting one of these! I'm always looking to keep the OE look as much as possible, and instead of having switches and buttons all over for my crazy ideas, it could just be one toggle.
Would the outputs be where the power is applied so long as the button is pressed(i.e. air horn button)? Or would it be an on/off type where each press toggles between the two?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I'd be interested in this. Personally I would like to see some sort of toggle (lighted or otherwise) that way I can control when I want to use the auxiliary functions. I would say at the least four outputs, I personally like the ability to expand if necessary so wouldn't mind 8 outputs even. Doesn't mean they all have to be used, but it leaves them open if wanted. I think upper buttons would be best as they don't affect the DIC, so you could still mess with that if needed.

Would definitely be interested in getting one of these! I'm always looking to keep the OE look as much as possible, and instead of having switches and buttons all over for my crazy ideas, it could just be one toggle.
Would the outputs be where the power is applied so long as the button is pressed(i.e. air horn button)? Or would it be an on/off type where each press toggles between the two?

Either...I could even do "fancy" things like you have to hold the button for X seconds before it will trigger its function, etc...

DangerDog

Jul 11, 2010
Mesa AZ
Either...I could even do "fancy" things like you have to hold the button for X seconds before it will trigger its function, etc...

So my next question would be, on the user end, could we choose what the outputs do and change it as necessary? Not sure if the hold it for X seconds to activate would be necessary, not something I would use personally at least. But could we change it from momentary to toggle? Or would that have to be something that we request when you're building? Just curious really. I really like the idea of this and would definitely jump on one if you ever made it!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So my next question would be, on the user end, could we choose what the outputs do and change it as necessary? Not sure if the hold it for X seconds to activate would be necessary, not something I would use personally at least. But could we change it from momentary to toggle? Or would that have to be something that we request when you're building? Just curious really. I really like the idea of this and would definitely jump on one if you ever made it!

Technically you could change the functionality and button-press style at any time as many times as you want. But it would mean pulling the controller chip out, changing some computer code and reflashing the chip with the new code.

If people wanted, for an additional cost I could provide the programming cable (just plugs into a USB port on your computer) and if you wanted something changed, I could then email you a new 'tune' file, and then you plug your switch-box module into your computer and download the new file to modify the configuration of the switches....

I dont know how many people would want to go through the trouble of doing that, but its definitely a possibility.

Ben