New LBZ Owner needing Info on EFI Live

DMax Proud

"07" LBZ & "03" LB7
Hello all,
I just got an "07" LBZ. It already has the 5 position rotary switch installed and some unknown EFI Live tunes, none of them are radical from what I can tell. I downloaded the EFI Live software but I suppose I have to buy the interface to go along with it in order to use it. From what I have been reading, I need the V2, correct? My son has an 03 LB7 with some radical EFI Live tunes he had made at St. Joe Diesel in St. Joe, Missouri. If I buy the V2, can it be used on both these trucks?

Bare with me for all the stupid questions, I'm about as green as they come to this stuff.

Thanks

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Yes you need a V2 and it can be used on both trucks.

If the seller of your LBZ didn't give you the tune out of it you might try and find out who tuned it so that you can get the tune for it. You won't be able to read the tune out of it.

DMax Proud

"07" LBZ & "03" LB7
Yes you need a V2 and it can be used on both trucks.

If the seller of your LBZ didn't give you the tune out of it you might try and find out who tuned it so that you can get the tune for it. You won't be able to read the tune out of it.

I bought it from a dealer. He got it from a guy in Nebraska so I doubt if I will have much luck finding the tune. So, the EFI Live will not read the tune in it now? I won't be able to change the tunes unless I have the old tune file?

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Yeah you can't read the dps tune out of it. But you can take it to the dealer or another tuner can get the stock tune for your truck for you.

DMax Proud

"07" LBZ & "03" LB7
Need more Info on Tuning

Sorry for asking so many questions on tuning but I am new to this stuff and 53 years old so I don't learn as quick as I use to. I have a few questions I need answered so if anyone can help, please do.

1. My "07" LBZ has some sort of tune on it but I have no idea what it is. I have a 5 position rotary switch and it seems to do something cause I can tell by the sound of the exhaust. I cannot get any info on the tune. Can someone send me a stock LBZ tune and can I flash it back to stock and start over or what do I need to do?

2. What all do I need to buy to have EFI Live? I downloaded the tune/scan tool already. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like from reading on here that EFI Live is just "reprogramming" the stock ECU/ECM instead of adding a chip like most others, correct?

3. How can I tell if I have EFI Live?

4. What is a good safe tune for a stock tranny? How much HP can I safely add? I would like to have a lopey idle on the performance. I would also like a tune for something like this. Need suggestions for #4 & #5.
1. Tow
2. Mileage
3. Performance
4. ????????
5. ????????

Thank all for the help.

Dec 2, 2006
TN
Sorry for asking so many questions on tuning but I am new to this stuff and 53 years old so I don't learn as quick as I use to. I have a few questions I need answered so if anyone can help, please do.

1. My "07" LBZ has some sort of tune on it but I have no idea what it is. I have a 5 position rotary switch and it seems to do something cause I can tell by the sound of the exhaust. I cannot get any info on the tune. Can someone send me a stock LBZ tune and can I flash it back to stock and start over or what do I need to do?

Tony will send you one.

2. What all do I need to buy to have EFI Live? I downloaded the tune/scan tool already. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like from reading on here that EFI Live is just "reprogramming" the stock ECU/ECM instead of adding a chip like most others, correct?

Yes, it reprograms the ECM. You have to actually buy the V2 unit (the hardware that connects between your PC and your truck).

3. How can I tell if I have EFI Live?

If you have 5 position switch, you probably have it.

4. What is a good safe tune for a stock tranny? How much HP can I safely add? I would like to have a lopey idle on the performance. I would also like a tune for something like this. Need suggestions for #4 & #5.
1. Tow
2. Mileage
3. Performance
4. ????????
5. ????????

Thank all for the help.

....Answers in Red.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Yeah you can't read the dps tune out of it. But you can take it to the dealer or another tuner can get the stock tune for your truck for you.

Might be a dum ? but why wouldnt he be able to read the tune thats in it with a V2?

ajamesbond007

May 14, 2012
On the Bosch ECMs (anything 2006+), we cannot read out the DSP tunes using EFI Live. They can only be flashed in. However, Delphi ECMs can be read out (2001-2005)

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
How much HP can I safely add? I would like to have a lopey idle on the performance.

Skip the "lopey" part it is not good for your truck.

Yes you will need a V2 it will come with 2 Licenses (each one can do one ECM and one TCM) so you would be good for both truck.

Also if you buy the V2 for a Vendor 99% of the time it will come with a tune or two to get you started.

Read this it will help you out some

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35&highlight=20/20