Allison 5sp: new here with questions

craigars

Feb 13, 2009
Sacramento
I have a 2002 duramax/allison 2500 hd crew cab with a 148k miles on the truck. the SES light came on 01/11/09 also the change oil light which was on a sunday. I preceded to to drain the oil in my 14 qt bucket as i always do and walked away from it while it was draining. when i came back the bucket was full and there was oil all over the ground and there was a strong odor of fuel so i am assuming my injectors are leaking. I finish changing the oil and cleane up this mess that it made all over the garage and call the dealer and have an appointment on 01/17/09. i drop it off in the morning and they call me that night and say that it is the injectors and that they will be replaced under warranty and that it will be ready on 01/18/09. the code that was thrown was P1093. the dealer called the next morning and said that the glow plugs are going to be replaced under a different warranty as well, that code was P0380. but it wont be ready until 01/22/09 and i can pick it up on 01/23/09
I picked up my truck on the 01/23/09 and they tell me that i need a fuel filter and oil change and that they can do it while i wait for 238.00 they say that that is not included in the warranty. In my opinion ththat should have been changed while they had everything ripped apart and after arguing with them and getting know where. i said i will cahange it my self, i live 6 miles from the dealer and i have filters an oil at home. I get home and change all the filters and take it for a test drive and it runs great for the first 20 miles then the SES light came back on. now i am mad so i call the dealer and they say that i can bring it in and they will scan it again.
this time they find a code P0700 tcm, that was stored and they diagnossed and inspected and found no problems. they cleared it and test drove and said that everything was ok. it was off for 1 day.
now it seems to come on after driving for a few miles and stays on, when i start it up in the morning it is off, but, 5 miles down the road it will come back on.
i have never changed the transmission fluid just the spin-on filter and I have changed that at every 30k miles.
any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
craigars

2002 chevy 2500hd crew cab longbed
duramax/allison
completely stock
used to haul kids and pull a small ski boat

2003 harley roadglide/ 95 incher
105hp / 121ft lbs tq

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Need another code. P0700 is only a request for the CEL. There are more codes stored that will tell us something.

craigars

Feb 13, 2009
Sacramento
Mike

I found some code readers at harbor freight for around 60.00 or do i need to find someone with a tech-2 scanner to pull the codes. the dealer here in sacramento wants 136.00 to hook it up and pull the codes.
When i dropped off the truck for the warranty work the trans temp gauge always read about 120% and since then it runs about 150% which i guess is ok. I have drained the trany fluid since then and it did not have a burnt smell to it, more of a translucent burgundy color.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Some auto part stores will read your codes for free. Not sure if they will do TCM codes though might be worth a shot.

craigars

Feb 13, 2009
Sacramento
kat

I have tried autozone and kragens, they no longer do it here in calif. The store manager told me that they got in trouble with the dealers because people where doing there own work and taking profits away.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
kat

I have tried autozone and kragens, they no longer do it here in calif. The store manager told me that they got in trouble with the dealers because people where doing there own work and taking profits away.

:( Didn't know they stopped

The one from Harbor Freight should work.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike

I found some code readers at harbor freight for around 60.00 or do i need to find someone with a tech-2 scanner to pull the codes. the dealer here in sacramento wants 136.00 to hook it up and pull the codes.
When i dropped off the truck for the warranty work the trans temp gauge always read about 120% and since then it runs about 150% which i guess is ok. I have drained the trany fluid since then and it did not have a burnt smell to it, more of a translucent burgundy color.

The 60.00 scanner might not read the codes. Ask Harbor if they will let you hook to your truck and if it reads it buy it. If it doesn't don't.

02D-MAX

Nov 16, 2008
N IL
Do you have any friends or know of anyone around you with a programmer? Most of the programmers that plug into the OBDII port read and clear codes. All they would have to do is clear their truck then load yours. Just a thought.