New here need some help

Spokanelmm

Apr 6, 2018
Hello names Chris from Spokane Washington. I have a 2008 gmc 2500 4 door short bed with a 145xxx It has a minimax tuner (soon to be efi live) the tuner has been on about a year. 5in straight exhaust, ppe 3 in down pipe, airdog 165 lift pump, deviant sump with a return attachment built in ( I did the pump and sump tonight not an hour ago I finished) has a 6in lift from fabtech, 35 in tires, 20in rims, 2 in spacers in the rear. Other then that everything else is stock. The air intake is stock and the egr is still there however the tuner turns it off apparently. Planning on s&b and a full egr kit including a new uppipe and intercooler pipe for passenger side. So the problem: a couple months back when I got on it at wot or close to when I got into 4th-5th and the tq converter locked up I would feel a shake and hesitation at the top of both gears 6th would be fine. I drive around daily on 120hp tune and tow on a 60hp. I don’t beat my truck but I don’t treat it like a princess. I tow very regular and put on a lot of miles. So that being said I thought maybe my tq converter was taking a dump. Around the same time it would shift abnormally I guess you could say I’m 3 4 and 5 when I was halfish pedal never hard shifting or nothing just not a normal feeling shift. I took it to a transmission guy I trust. He hooked his stuff up and took her out and gave her the pedal he told me iyour trans is great whatever it is is the motor. So I took it to a well known diesel mechanic where I’m from. He tested it did his thing and told me that it needs injectors. He said that starting from first gear the return rate was good rail pressure was good but by the time I got to 4th gear the rail pressure was at like 10k and it was returning most of the fuel. 5500 bucks I was quoted that’s with labor out the door. The balance rates on all injectors were good. But I would imagine that was tested when idling but I’m not sure. So I have read up a lot and thought maybe I was getting some fuel line collapse so I bought a lift pump and sump. Installed it and it did help the hesitation and shake at wot but it’s still there. My next move is a fuel rail plug. I already have it and am going to install it this weekend. I haven’t done it yet because it’s a complete pain to do. So I am hoping fuel is sneaking by the fprv the truck has never had any codes really besides when the stock exhaust clogged up and after I tuned it I laid the hammer down in a high hp tune and I got a low rail code because the truck needed a lift pump. So I know that the truck can run and drive fine and have bad injectors giving me the symptoms I have now and shit I had a diesel tech tell me I need injectors I am just trying to put some mods on that in many cases have helped the symptoms I have and fixed them and also some may think I’m dumb for wasting money but I was planning to do these mods anyways so ya I guess I’m just wondering what you guys think if I’m on the right track or if you have any better suggestions or if you think I just need to bite the bullet and do the injectors. ??? Any help would be awesome and I’ll let you know what the plug does for me and my symptoms.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I would do a bottle test and see if your fuel rail relief valve is leaking.

i think there is a post on here about how to do the test?

remove the tuner for now, also

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Sounds like the converter is shuddering to me, mine did it on a 90 HP tune at 12k miles. Converter and c1’s let go at 38k. Fuel return won’t make it shudder just a big loss in power from no fuel.

Spokanelmm

Apr 6, 2018
Well apparently the tq converter and trans are fine. He even showed me on his computer when the shutter happened compared to the transmission and what it was doing it’s line pressure and all that granted I don’t know transmission tech stuff but it was normal However I guess it could still be a possibility.

Spokanelmm

Apr 6, 2018
I would do a bottle test and see if your fuel rail relief valve is leaking.

i think there is a post on here about how to do the test?

remove the tuner for now, also

Yes I’ve heard about this lately since the issues I have had so I guess I’ll have to search on how to do that test. Worse comes to worse I’m gonna have a whole new mechanic test it after the plugs in and see what he says. Even if this bottle test says the fprv is ok I’m gonna plug it anyhow.