Help: New guy with big ambition and limited knowledge

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Thanks for the comments. Ya I've been putting a lot of thought into the winter months and what I'm going to do with the truck. It definitely does get cold here (-40 to -50C at times) but Im planning to keep the truck in the garage for the majority of the winter if possible. how low do you tune down your truck when you drive it in the winter? As for traction, I wont be driving the truck on pavement at all in the winter most likely; all gravel roads going from my farm to the main farm and stuff, i've got a 2011 VW Jetta for town runs and highway running and its got a good insurance and warranty package on it so I'll beat the shit out of it :thumb:

For me the cold is not the issue, it is either plugged in or in the heated shop.

I have a DSP5 switch for my EFILive, and keep one really low tune, but run as hot as I can for the conditions. When the roads were really bad, I ran my lowest tune which was about a 90 hp adder that did not ever really light the turbo hard.

My truck is set up different than what you are talking about doing. I have stock height and stock sized winter tires that are studded and siped. I have really good traction from the tires to start with before I started adding HP.

I have not run the triples yet, this is all based on my HTT single setup. We will see how the triples run when I complete the install.

Danimal

Nov 5, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
For me the cold is not the issue, it is either plugged in or in the heated shop.

I have a DSP5 switch for my EFILive, and keep one really low tune, but run as hot as I can for the conditions. When the roads were really bad, I ran my lowest tune which was about a 90 hp adder that did not ever really light the turbo hard.

My truck is set up different than what you are talking about doing. I have stock height and stock sized winter tires that are studded and siped. I have really good traction from the tires to start with before I started adding HP.

I have not run the triples yet, this is all based on my HTT single setup. We will see how the triples run when I complete the install.

Ok, well I'll definitely keep this in mind for next winter. I plan on this truck being a lifer so if I see issues in the winter I may end up just keeping it parked. Worst case scenario I end up buying an old gas job farm truck for in the winter (I really liked the '86 chev's) so I don't have to run the duramax. I'll keep you posted on how that all works out.

When do you plan on putting in the triples?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Ok, well I'll definitely keep this in mind for next winter. I plan on this truck being a lifer so if I see issues in the winter I may end up just keeping it parked. Worst case scenario I end up buying an old gas job farm truck for in the winter (I really liked the '86 chev's) so I don't have to run the duramax. I'll keep you posted on how that all works out.

When do you plan on putting in the triples?
Dont do so much to your truck that you can no longer enjoy it. I plan to go further with mine but it will always be planned out so it can remain a practical daily driver.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Ken I wouldn't put the problems you've had with your truck in the category of "normal" results , yes at over 1k HP any trans out the can have problems , but we have had pretty decent luck with our trucks so far , I have yet to loose a trans in my truck , and Matt and a few others have been doing pretty good as well , annual refresh has been the norm for us though so maybe that has helped .

Damn that would be wonderful, to only do it annually and not monthly.:D Well maybe mine is different but I can't seem to make a tranny live on the big tunes, last time at the track I had a compete tie up on the 3-4 shift. May have been running too much line pressure. We'll see this time.;)