New Guy with 2001 GMC 3500

rw1650

Jul 25, 2014
Ok just got this truck and was under impression head gasket and injectors were replaced. has 143000 on it. I have the dreaded...p0540 code. when I was coming back from Indiana with it lost power on highway when a/c was on. reset when I turned it off. Since been home have replaced fuel filter. Code is back on...unrelated I think. It is starting hard (slow) almost like dead batteries but went to advance and they said they were good. I will try them individually to see if they are both good. I will also check grounds. a little frustrated....and nervous. thank Rw1650

rw1650

Jul 25, 2014
little more babbling

So I was a truck driver for 20 years and have always wanted a diesel. Guess I should have went a little newer. Yes I realize there hasn't really been a question in here yet.

I am planning a trip with family soon. Gonna put golf cart in back and pull an 8800lb trailer. I am a little nervous gonna have problem on trip. Any suggestions on some things to have checked before I go. Thank Randy

rw1650

Jul 25, 2014
OK so my starting prob was starter. strange that jumping it would make it start. got problem with running at 70 on highway for about 10 miles sustained it will go to limp mode and I will have to shut it down to reset it I guess. going to a diesel mech soon. my brother knows the guy.

no smoke coming out but when starter was being replaced he said one of the fuel lines looked degraded. so hopefully that is problem.

any thoughts. I am taking family camping in next weekend and can't have a 3500 diesel that can't pull anything.

merlot

Just what I need
Aug 8, 2014
Connecticut
you should test the batteries with the grounds disconnected (to isolate them) one could be bad and thats why it starts with a jump good, a new starter will mask a weak battery and I've seen it cause other issues in systems too (probably not your limp mode issue) but it wouldn't hurt

merlot

Just what I need
Aug 8, 2014
Connecticut
you should test the batteries with the grounds disconnected (to isolate them) one could be bad and thats why it starts with a jump good, a new starter will mask a weak battery and I've seen it cause other issues in systems too (probably not your limp mode issue) but it wouldn't hurt