New guy out of Wyoming

Matt3116

Jan 13, 2015
Hey guys I'm looking into buying an 04 Chevy crew cab lb7 with 270000 miles on it. Rest of the pickup is in decent shape but it needs an injector pump.I can get this pickup for about 6000 bucks I don't know much about diesels. This is my first diesel project and just looking to get some more educated peoples opinion on if it's worth it out not.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
You can get used pumps here on the forums for less than 400$, problem is depending on what happened to the pump, the injectors could also be trashed.

The pump is in the front of the block valley and is not easy to get to, On the lb7 the injectors are also under the valve cover so you are looking at a decent amount of work replacing either one.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Welcome! I've bought two trucks that had injection system issues. My Lly supposedly had a bad pump, but I changed out the fuel pressure regulator ($150 bucks and an hours work) and she's still going strong with 250,000.
Then I bought my rclb lb7 with bad injectors, replaced them and it's doing great as well. I would think you may be able to jew them down a bit more if it involves more than the cp3.
Does it start and run? Does it smoke bad at idle? If you know someone with a decent scanner, you can check some of that stuff further in depth to make sure what's really wrong with it.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
We had stock ccsb's at work with 200k+ miles that ran perfect. It all depends on the abuse its been put through...was it chipped or tunned? Towed heavy etc..

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Welcome neighbor! I'm curious as well if it really needs an injection pump. Injectors can have the same symptoms. And I personally think these transmissions will last the life of the truck if it was never hot rodded and was serviced correctly.

Matt3116

Jan 13, 2015
I'm in Lovell. As far as I know it has never been modded. It used to tow a camper around but mostly empty. Getting it from a buddy and they had it hooked up to a scanner and that's what they came up with. But he doesn't know much about diesels either. Couple of gassers trying to get into something new

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
I'm in Lovell. As far as I know it has never been modded. It used to tow a camper around but mostly empty. Getting it from a buddy and they had it hooked up to a scanner and that's what they came up with. But he doesn't know much about diesels either. Couple of gassers trying to get into something new

You have a PM.

Matt3116

Jan 13, 2015
Update: Turns out it isn't an LB7, I checked the VIN and the code said that it is an LLY instead. What are the differences?

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Same high pressure fuel pump, different regulator. Injectors are outside valve covers. Easier to get to but cost a little more. May get lucky and only need one or 2 injectors instead of a pump or all 8 injectors. Only way to know for sure is to return test them and the pump. Assuming it's not smoking or anything

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
It was nice meeting you the other day Matt. :)

I'm glad it turned out to be an easy fix(LLY ice pick fix), hopefully I pointed you in the right direction.