New guy here, big question

FFPM73

Firefighter/Paramedic
Apr 2, 2017
Burlington, KY
So I recently started hauling (part time job) hay/straw for race horses in Lexington KY. I. Pulling 28-30 ft gooseneck trailers with approx 18-20k lbs. Talking with local boys and stating my mileage is shit, they stated do an EGR delete and PCV relocation. My question is do I need a full EGR delete kit or just a block off plate? I'm not looking to race or blow black smoke on everyone, just want better mileage and torque. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

FFPM73

Firefighter/Paramedic
Apr 2, 2017
Burlington, KY
I'm going to be honest. I build gas engines and have several muscle cars with 600-700 hp. I'm new to diesels. I don't really understand all the EGR lingo, up pipes etc. I think I need some line by line instructions with pictures. Sorry for my ignorance.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What year/engine? Are you also down on power? Is it bad enough to throw any codes?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Honestly egr delete isn't going to do much of anything for mileage. The tune to make the light go away will help more than anything.

And pcv rerouted will do zero for mileage

FFPM73

Firefighter/Paramedic
Apr 2, 2017
Burlington, KY
It's a 2006 GMC quad cab, 8ft bed dually. 6.6 Duramax. Not sure if it's a LLY or something different. I will say pulling those loads I always get an engine light, but as soon as I unhook, let the truck cool down, light goes out.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Yeah I agree. Check code. Make sure you don't have a fuel pressure issue. These trucks not haveing a lift pump you sure don't wanna trash your CP3!

collinsX

On a Time Out
Mar 30, 2017
One guy here had that EGR delete and got slight difference on mpg but liking the new exhaust sound with Flowmaster muffler.

FFPM73

Firefighter/Paramedic
Apr 2, 2017
Burlington, KY
So yesterday I pulled another trailer (30 ft gooseneck) with 24k lbs........no check engine light. Before I fueled up I put some HotShot fuel treatment in the tank. Now I'm wondering if I have a clogged/bad injector? Diesels are very confusing to me. On a side note I did do the PCV re-route not sure if that had anything to do with not throwing a code. I capped resonator, plugged PCV inlet, cut the "T" out. Slid 5/8 heater hose over pipes, clampped and put in a SCH 40 PVC 1/2 "T" (which fits tight with 5/8 hose) and ran open end down drivers front frame rail. No leaks worked like a charm. Sorry for long post I just don't want to damage my truck

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
It's a 2006 GMC quad cab, 8ft bed dually. 6.6 Duramax. Not sure if it's a LLY or something different. I will say pulling those loads I always get an engine light, but as soon as I unhook, let the truck cool down, light goes out.

Are you running stock tires, do you have a lift, what MPH are you running while towing, and is it hilly or flat where your driving? Your driving a brick and pulling a heavy load. The sweet rpm for towing is just under 2K. Like Fast said, your empty is not good.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
My friend ricks 06' dually only got 12-13 empty, it had always been babied so I'm sure 90% of the intake was caked from the egr and pcv. You would think towing heavy would keep it cleaned out.