New Duramax owner loosing coolant

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
well tore It done toady. But still cant find any evidence of coolant leak. Head gaskets didn't show any leaks. One piston did look clean looking. So I don't know. Took the heads to the machine shop but I already removed the cups not thinking and he needed them installed to pressure test. Ill get that done when the head gasket kit comes in. Cross hatch looks real good.

Another though today. Can the water pump leak coolant behind itself into the oil. I plan on putting another one on anyways while the truck is tore down.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 29
Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I havnt really explored the oil cooler because the coolant has no oil in it.

Any have any suggestions while I'm waiting on the heads to be done.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Well I think I found the problem. The damn water pump. Dirt dobbbers clogged both weep holes so the bad pump had no where to leak water. It had to go inside the motor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 34
Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Just updating. It was water pump. Drove 20 miles no more moisture under oil cap or steam coming from pcv. But at least tore down a dmax to the short block and learned a lot about it. Thanks all for the help. See my other thread for the cylinder problem.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Just updating. It was water pump. Drove 20 miles no more moisture under oil cap or steam coming from pcv. But at least tore down a dmax to the short block and learned a lot about it. Thanks all for the help. See my other thread for the cylinder problem.

Read this late. I was going to say for sure the water pump. I have seen it many times on Cat engines... Sucks you tore into the heads but like you said you learned about the d-max:thumb:

Oh and good thread by the way. It's nice when people post pics for others to learn from. I beat this will save more than on person alot of headache;)