New Drop-in VGT for "Best bang for your buck!"

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
What setup do you currently have on your truck now Ben?

haha oh jeez my piece of junk is mostly all stock. Beat up stock 180k (?) mile LBZ short block (dmaxfireman's original engine that he hammered the crap out of!), with LLY 57x reluctor wheel, 40% Dipper LLY injectors, stock LBZ turbo, leaking front main seal, leaking oil pan, stock LBZ turbo, and head gaskets that arent "blown", but are of questionable integrity. (every once in a blue moon it pukes for no reason)

And of course my original Suncoast IV that I built myself 8 years ago. It has 220k miles on it, never been refreshed...

But the thing runs great...perfectly smooth at idle, quiet valvetrain, best oil pressure hot at idle of any of the 5 engines that have been in my truck. Love the stock LBZ turbo with its nutso exhaust brake and instant spool.

Has some weird howling/whistling noise above 20psi. No boost leaks, tried swapping turbos, still there. Maybe something with my ghetto IC pipes and sharp bend at the LBZ van-bridge inlet??? No idea, too lazy/busy to care/look more deeply into it. I just never go WOT because im afraid of something blowing up. :D :rofl:

In the next couple months I think Ill yank the engine, put an AF cam in it, stud it, and replace the seals. Rotating assembly is fine so Ill just leave it, I dont need 600hp so I dont care about doing a full build with rods, etc.

Turbo plans are to build a custom twin setup with the GT4718, and maybe Mark's new turbo here!!

Ben

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
haha oh jeez my piece of junk is mostly all stock. Beat up stock 180k (?) mile LBZ short block (dmaxfireman's original engine that he hammered the crap out of!), with LLY 57x reluctor wheel, 40% Dipper LLY injectors, stock LBZ turbo, leaking front main seal, leaking oil pan, stock LBZ turbo, and head gaskets that arent "blown", but are of questionable integrity. (every once in a blue moon it pukes for no reason)

And of course my original Suncoast IV that I built myself 8 years ago. It has 220k miles on it, never been refreshed...

But the thing runs great...perfectly smooth at idle, quiet valvetrain, best oil pressure hot at idle of any of the 5 engines that have been in my truck. Love the stock LBZ turbo with its nutso exhaust brake and instant spool.

Has some weird howling/whistling noise above 20psi. No boost leaks, tried swapping turbos, still there. Maybe something with my ghetto IC pipes and sharp bend at the LBZ van-bridge inlet??? No idea, too lazy/busy to care/look more deeply into it. I just never go WOT because im afraid of something blowing up. :D :rofl:

In the next couple months I think Ill yank the engine, put an AF cam in it, stud it, and replace the seals. Rotating assembly is fine so Ill just leave it, I dont need 600hp so I dont care about doing a full build with rods, etc.

Turbo plans are to build a custom twin setup with the GT4718, and maybe Mark's new turbo here!!

Ben

Sounds like fun Ben! With fuel it would top 950hp pretty easy since I just did this turbo with an BMW83 over it and did 942hp iirc. I am enjoying the crap out of it on my truck and will most likely be putting it on my wife's LMM very soon too!:thumb:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Sounds like fun Ben! With fuel it would top 950hp pretty easy since I just did this turbo with an BMW83 over it and did 942hp iirc. I am enjoying the crap out of it on my truck and will most likely be putting it on my wife's LMM very soon too!:thumb:

Quick question Mark, how is the exhaust braking on it compared to a stock LBZ turbo? And to a stock LLY turbo?

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico

Ben

Damn Ben!! Lol sounds like your lily needs another round of TLC :roflmao:

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Trying not to upgrade my stocker and just twin, but this is tempting...

....I'd still wanna twin and keep it at a 600hp level though....

Seriously, you guys aren't helping me spend less money, my shopping list is getting longer if anything lol

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Ben-Has same braking power as LLy turbo since it uses the LLy backhalf. It is basically the same as my stg2 turbos on the backside, Garrett basically copied what we had been doing for years but they screwed the compressor wheel up. Gave me something to improve, thank you Garrett! Other cool side affect is ALL my stg2 turbos are now brand new carts now because of this! This means 95% of my turbos are brand new units!!:thumb:

Forkman-The major differences between the two turbos is that my version of 3794va beats the 4094va in every category except max effort horsepower and the 4094va will put about 25-40hp on the 3794va but only if you can fuel/drive it hard enough in the 700+hp range. At this point you will have to give up alittle spool up and driveability for that extra 25-40hp above 700hp. That's why I say this is the better turbo for the price for 90% of the guys on the street especially for stock motor guys!

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Thought you died on us!! lol :happy2:

Not yet. Truck being broke down has moved my interest a little. I talked with Mark and am excited to try this turbo. The 4094's are just so lazy down low. I want to use/drive my truck more and this seems like the ticket for that and still make 900hp or so. Hopefully with my new build the engine will be strong as possible

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Mark,

Do you have any magic that will allow me to run a VVT on my LB7??? Haha:roflmao: That would be great.

Yellowchevy

Fleece makes (atleast made) a stand alone variable geometry controller. I knew a puller who ran a vgt on his lb7. That would work to get you set up with one of these new Danville chargers !