Need to know what it takes to swap LLY to LBZ bottom ends

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
May be getting a built bottom end from an LLY truck. I need to know what all needs to be swapped to make my LBZ bottom end into his LLY truck and his LLY bottom end to my LMM truck.

I know the reluctor wheels are different and I know the balancers/ flywheels need to stay on each motor but what else needs to be done? Do the water pumps and housings need to be swapped?

Will my LBZ turbo and sensors direct swap to his LLY truck?

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Sub'd on the vane sender part. I bought a 72mm turbo off a lmm and the plug only goes on backwards for my lly. The vanes still work except for when at idle. But on the bottom end part all you have to so is swap reluctor wheels. The Lbz water pumps I've heard are better but either one will work. Just tig weld the lly one. Other than that your good to go. Also some like to use the lly/lb7 can because Lbz/lmm are spring loaded.

smkndmax05

"Smoked Out"
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana
Kyle, you should be able to get an adapter plug for the vane sensor.....the water pumps are different, if you are doing the LLY motor, I would get a modded water pump from Danville, or from another vendor. The reluctor wheel is the big issue, there are some posts on here explaining the procedures.

DaveB

Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Indiana
Kyle try to find someone that bought a 4094 or Danville 72, they come with the adapter plug and a lot don't use it. If I knew where mine was I'd let you have it.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Why not just swap short blocks no swapping water pumps or covers as it'll work just fine and just swap reluctor wheels? Water pumps don't really matter also you'll loose the provisions for your fan shroud guard on a lly block

That would be great if it all works. I thought the lower radiator hose was a little different size between the years