Need suggestions

Idahodmax

Dec 22, 2015
Ok, so I finally got efi, 5in check dp back exhaust and egr delete kit.. how ever I don't got alot of free time to do it all at once.. I was thinking of maybe doing dsp5 and ppei efi live one night, 1 to 2 days later getting the exhaust in and on a weekend doing the egr delete.. is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea? I get like 2 to 3 hrs of day light a night after work, and I'm not technically inclined enough to trust my self say I can do the dsp5/efi and exhaust in one night

roxyfever

Feb 11, 2016
terrell tx
I dont see why not unless your truck has a dpf then you would have to do the exhaust dsp5 and tuning at the same time then egr later

Idahodmax

Dec 22, 2015
It does have the dpf, also a edge tuner with juice. I'm not entirely sure if just unplugging the chip under the hood will safice or if there's a way to Uninstall it

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
How much driving are you going to do between the two days?

I've tuned a couple trucks and they take them home and do the exhaust themselves.. Had one guy drove about 100 miles with no issues. As long as the dpf is clean you'll be fine for a few miles.

Idahodmax

Dec 22, 2015
Well I live less than 5 miles from work one way, but I'm sure my dpf is nice and sooted up since I have level 6 unlocked on my edge and if I get on it it will blow a cloud of smoke unfortunately and my regeneration cycle kicked in at least once a week. With my short drive to and from work I generally have to take a trip to the mountains to get it out of regen. I was thinking if I had to take the old ladies acadia, but who really wants to drive the mom mobile around??

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Why not do the exhaust first then just load the tune on right quick after? It takes about 10 minutes to do a full flash. You don't have to install the DSP5 switch if you're worried about that part taking too long.

Idahodmax

Dec 22, 2015
If I just load the tune after and not have the dsp5 switch installed, what tune will it be set too?? And does it all just work automatically after I install the dsp5 switch?

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
If I just load the tune after and not have the dsp5 switch installed, what tune will it be set too?? And does it all just work automatically after I install the dsp5 switch?

It'll be set to whatever your base tune is in the tune file. And yes, if you have a dsp5 tune loaded then install the switch later, the switch will work normally as if you did it all at the same time.

Idahodmax

Dec 22, 2015
Ok, so I got the ppei, if I recall:
1: modified stock
2: 30hp
3:60hp
4:100hp
5:150hp
Or something along those lines, so do exhaust flash and it will be set to setting one? Sounds simple enough

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Well I live less than 5 miles from work one way, but I'm sure my dpf is nice and sooted up since I have level 6 unlocked on my edge and if I get on it it will blow a cloud of smoke unfortunately and my regeneration cycle kicked in at least once a week. With my short drive to and from work I generally have to take a trip to the mountains to get it out of regen. I was thinking if I had to take the old ladies acadia, but who really wants to drive the mom mobile around??

I don't mind driving the mom mobile lol.. However no way my ole lady would own an Acadia

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Ok, so I got the ppei, if I recall:
1: modified stock
2: 30hp
3:60hp
4:100hp
5:150hp
Or something along those lines, so do exhaust flash and it will be set to setting one? Sounds simple enough

9 times out of 10 it will default to 5 (all the way up) in my experience if the switch is not in or hooked up wrong.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ask your tuner which is your base tune. Or install the switch then the next day do your exhaust and tune it after that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Like joshH said. ExhAust then tune immediately. It will default to the150 tune until you install the knob and To answer your next question you; no, you wont hurt anything driving on the 150 tune. Do the egr when ever you want as the tuning shuts it off. But you should still do it asap since the valve tends to be pushed open under full throttle.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
My tune defaults to stock base tune, my understanding on the EFI forums is most of the tuners do this in case the switch fails.

Last edited:

Idahodmax

Dec 22, 2015
I think I can handle that for a day or two, looks like if weather holds out I'll just be doing exhaust..

One other question.. I was looking at my dsp5 switch and wasn't quite understanding how it mounts to the dash, I get you drill a hole, but I'm not sure how you keep it in place other than using the nut and washers that come with it

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The setting without the switch depends on how the tune is setup. You would have to ask the folks at PPEI if they have it set up with tune 5 or tune 1 as the base tune. The switch can be setup to work either way. I usually make the lower tune as the base tune so you aren't stuck in kill mode if you have a switch failure, but everyone has their own methods and preferences.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I think I can handle that for a day or two, looks like if weather holds out I'll just be doing exhaust..

One other question.. I was looking at my dsp5 switch and wasn't quite understanding how it mounts to the dash, I get you drill a hole, but I'm not sure how you keep it in place other than using the nut and washers that come with it

Thats all thats needed to hold it in place.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
My tune defaults to stock base tune, my understanding on the EFI forums is most of the tuners do this in case the switch fails.

It's done because the dsp files only have a few tables to mod. And every limiter/table you don't have access to would reference the base tune. so you'd want your big tune the base tune so you know you will have all the performance limiters max and mins in check. All for performance reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk