need some ideas on good A/t tires

dieselboy04'

DieselBoy04'
Mar 23, 2008
Virginia
I've always like Nittos and ran them till today. I had one herniate on me and go flat half way back from a 5 hour drive from beans dyno days. Not really sure why it did either, but I've always heard bad things on them blowing out or failing.. I just figured it was a bad batch. But anyways I've got some 20's I'd rather be running and I was wondering what a good load range tire in a 305/55/R20 a/t would be that wont break the bank to bad. Thanks

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Man that blows. I was gonna say Toyo a/t 's but that's the same company. Are the failures supposed to be that common? I haven't really heard of any.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So we have a flat and now we decide that all Nittos are bad? I've heard bad things about the Duramax and I bought a second one. Hmmmm, what could this mean?

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I am running Hankook RF10's right now and I like them. I haven't had them on any super slick roads or gravel yet, but so far so good. The only trouble I have had is when I hit standing water on the highway, they seem to "grab" alot harder than any other tires I've had. As far as the Nitto's I had the Terra Grapplers before this, and I wouldn't hesitate to run them again. They were good on icey roads, standing water, mud, gravel. And they survived killing a pallet at 70 mph.

Philtopgun

Nice n Easy
May 5, 2007
Edmond,OK-still a Texan
started with bfg AT then went to Toyos mt, now back to bfgs at.. never had any issues with my bfgs.. love the look when they are brand new, then they look old quick at only 1/2 thread.. no complaints tho.

dieselboy04'

DieselBoy04'
Mar 23, 2008
Virginia
So we have a flat and now we decide that all Nittos are bad? I've heard bad things about the Duramax and I bought a second one. Hmmmm, what could this mean?

Mike, I guess that came across wrong. I've always stuck up for nittos and gave them a chance... even before I bought my first set and ask the guy at the tire shop what he thought about them, when he stated "why don't you ask him, he just had one blow out on him driving down the road" as he pointed to the guy standing next to me waiting to get his tire replaced. That didn't stop me from getting them the first time (I got 52,000 miles outta them, even while drag racing with them) or the second time (this set). I just wanna try a different tire that might be better or worse. I'm also running nitto 420S on my 20's and have drag raced with them and love them (even though nitto doesn't recommend putting that tire on this heavy of truck). I just want to change my truck up and go to a bigger tire and raise it back up. This lill mishap just motivated me a lill faster then what I'd planed. Was I happy a 4 month old tired ballooned out on me and went flat, no. Will I never buy nittos again??... no, I probably will, they're a good tire in my opinion. It's just time to try something else. Again, sorry if this came across as bashing nittos cause I wasn't, just stating what happened and trying to get opinions and info on what others thought to be a good replacement tire for me.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have the Cooper Zeon LTZs in 305/50R20. I've been happy with them so far. They're a little noisier now that I have about 10k miles on them than they were new, but they seem to be wearing well.

dieselboy04'

DieselBoy04'
Mar 23, 2008
Virginia
Nittos making it up for me. Free replacement tire should be here around Wednesday or Thursday. I'm still planning on running the Coopers on my 20's tho. Thanks guys for the input.