LLY: Need some help with white smoke

SHOTZY

<"Whats next??"
Aug 27, 2008
melbourne, fl
Hey guys,
Saturday morning, my buddy's 04 C4500 Rollback started puffing white smoke and running with a miss on the way to work. Initial thoughts were injector perhaps, as we finally got a p0302, cylinder #2 misfire. I checked the balance rates with his predator and my laptop, and in D, with the brake on, injectors were all around -6, except #2 was 15. Figured it was an injector, so he got one today as he depends on this truck for his repair business. Replaced the injector, and it is running the same, same code, lots of white smoke, same miss.
He told me today that about 20,000 miles ago, (truck has about 65k total) he had the head gasket on the drivers side replaced by GM under warranty. His fear is now that the block is warped, and it's never seated right since the repair, and wont' seat right until it's decked. Would a head gasket blow bad enough to do this? Any thoughts? I won't be back that way until Thursday night, but he's looking at getting another engine, so he can run the truck until his gets to the machine shop, and then keep it for a spare.
He has a predator on it for about 50k miles, mostly on 85 or 65hp settings.

I appreciate any advice.

Mine did the exact same thing. Didn't through any codes, ran with a miss, tons of white smoke. Got er home and did a compression test and # 3 had 0 psi. Didn't even move the gauge and glow plug was soaked with oil. It also pushed alot of oil out through the pcv reroute. 99% sure theres a hole in the piston.:( Will let you know tonight. Pulled engine yesterday.

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
I found a medium duty longblock, so I'm headed out Thursday night, I'll pick it up Friday morning from Tony Burkhard, so I'll be headed through Michigan, Ohio, and back to PA.
If anyone's on the road Friday, keep an eye out for me. :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Crank it up and pull the oil fill cap. If it puffs out lots of blow by, that's a sure sign of a piston gone bye-bye. Good luck getting it back on the road.

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
My buddy swapped over his fuel/turbo over to the new block on Saturday, so he's back in business and can be towing cars again. I personally put in about 800 miles on Thursday between traveling for work all day, and then driving from Central PA to Michigan. Then 450 miles back to my buddy's shop on Friday. That was a lot of solo driving in a 36 hour period.
The old block...well piston #2 had a nice sized hole in it, and #8 was cracked.
Block is in good shape seemingly, so I may take it and have it built over the winter for my truck. We'll see how the money tree does come harvest time. ;)