Need Some Allison Help

jhall30

Oct 6, 2011
NC
Just picked up a 2004 Ext cab 4WD LB7 and it is going to need a transmission...the question is do I have to stick with a LB7 trans?...I am just trying to figure out my options here for what will work in the truck...I have found a very low mileage 2005 LLY Allison for a good price....it is in a 2wd truck and it's an LLY ....are the 2wd and 4wd's the same transmission with a different tail housing?
any help on this is much appreciated as
Thanks Jody

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
Yes they will work, look at the trans cooler connector and make sure the one in your truck has the same color. I kno they used diff sizes. and yes you will have to swap tail housings.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
'03 late to '05 changed to the bigger fittings. Changing the extension housings is not a problem as stated above. Once that is done; make sure you can move the input shaft at least .012/.060 for endplay.

jhall30

Oct 6, 2011
NC
Thanks!!! for the quick replies.....I haven't had a chance to look at the cooler line connectors on the trans I have found but I suppose if they are different I could just swap cooler lines???

jhall30

Oct 6, 2011
NC
DBUSHLB7 I noticed your post on switching the tail shaft about it being
ass up and belhousing down.....so is there some trick to switching the tail shafts other than just unbolting and switching them?....
thanks

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
DBUSHLB7 I noticed your post on switching the tail shaft about it being
ass up and belhousing down.....so is there some trick to switching the tail shafts other than just unbolting and switching them?....
thanks

From dong mine you have to keep it bell housing down otherwise you'll loose parts out the back, then you're in for all kinds of problem. That's what I remember, hopefully someone will chime in to say if I'm right on not.

Yellowchevy

jhall30

Oct 6, 2011
NC
well the transmission I was looking at getting is now gone...I didn't get to it fast enough I guess
so i'm back to the drawing board looking for another bone stock Allison
thanks

Thunderkiss65

Sep 14, 2013
Oklahoma
Is there any advantage in switching from an LB7 to an LLY for everyday driving? I am currently getting about 20-22 Hwy but always looking for more:angel: