LLY: Need LLY rad/Cac demensions

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Just like it says, going to try out adding some cheap eBay pusher fans between the hot stack to see if I can airflow up to bring my temps down.
Lookin to see just how many/how big of ones I can fit.

Also heard the Lbz radatior might be bigger,anyone got the height/width/depth of a Lbz to post up to compar also?

Thanks!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Lly can be know to over heat. Some guys will upgrade there trucks to the parts from the LBZ. There is a write up somewhere about it I have it saved. All the part numbers needed to used. You have to change out the front top support since the radiator and intercooler is taller.

Jakej03

Sep 1, 2012
Springtown TX
The reason i asked is because I had overheating issues before I installed an lbz mouth piece and ported my air box but now i can tow our 11,000 lb camper at 85 mph without breaking a sweat. Just wondering if you have thought about the intake at all.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
The reason i asked is because I had overheating issues before I installed an lbz mouth piece and ported my air box but now i can tow our 11,000 lb camper at 85 mph without breaking a sweat. Just wondering if you have thought about the intake at all.

yeah ive done all the little things, lbz MP, full airraid Cai, egr is blocked, full 5" straight pipe, new water pump ect..

ive seen in the 10K+ pages ive been skimming through, some people are boxing in and making a "airdamn" but never seen a picture or actually write up on what they did, anyone got any info on this?

Jakej03

Sep 1, 2012
Springtown TX
When are you overheating? I'm thinking that an extra fan would actually inhibit airflow at freeway speeds.
And I've never heard of an "airdam" other than what goes on the bottom of bumpers, could you be talking about a nose seal kit, like shrouds that concentrate air into the rad/cac?

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Lly can be know to over heat. Some guys will upgrade there trucks to the parts from the LBZ. There is a write up somewhere about it I have it saved. All the part numbers needed to used. You have to change out the front top support since the radiator and intercooler is taller.
Could you post a link?

When are you overheating? I'm thinking that an extra fan would actually inhibit airflow at freeway speeds.
And I've never heard of an "airdam" other than what goes on the bottom of bumpers, could you be talking about a nose seal kit, like shrouds that concentrate air into the rad/cac?
Overheating all the time, just driving down the freeway if I'm not wind drafting behind a semi anything about 65 my edge will alarm that coolant is at 225 then I let out to bring the temp back down.
Might be the nose seal kit I just seen a few talking about it.

I don't think a pusher fan would restrict much if any between the stack, It could only help I'm my eyes as I think there isn't much airflow left after going through everything.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
you do a dp to? Also i thought people were swapping radiator shrouds and putting the lbz+ fan on so it'd pull more air....

A bigger ic may help you to.... on pur service truck (its a lly) it got hot all the time weighs 13,700 without a trailer did a afe mouth piece and a mbrp downpipe helped it a bunch

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
you do a dp to? Also i thought people were swapping radiator shrouds and putting the lbz+ fan on so it'd pull more air....

A bigger ic may help you to.... on pur service truck (its a lly) it got hot all the time weighs 13,700 without a trailer did a afe mouth piece and a mbrp downpipe helped it a bunch

Haven't done a DP yet, been thinkin of doing twins if I get enough back on taxes to help with power & egts while towin the new 5th wheel Toyhauler.
I have seen where people are talking about swapping out to a Lbz rad/shroud& fan, been watching to see a good deal on them come up on one.
I still plan on pushers either way tho, with a billet grill I figure anything to keep the air moving can only help.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Don't think another fan will help much at 65 mph, I put a oil cooler down low (so out of the stack) and don't have issues. I think the key is getting more cooling out of the stack, since the heat rejection is already high by the time it gets to the radiator, and I doubt a cheap fan will move more air than the truck does at 65 MPH
If you plan on twins I would 100% do a oil cooler

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Haven't towed with an EFI-live tune yet, but I got one now.
I tried a MPG tune,
Then stock tune
Then tried every setting on the edge & still had the same issues.
Boost stayed lower then 35.
Egt on the edge would get over 1300 easy if I didn't watch,
But I hooked my Autometer gauge up & it reads lower then the edge did.

I plan on Doing a cooler,Like you said especially with twins.
I was gona take the trans out of the radiator but I know it's there to heat up the trans for lock up.
Not sure how long it would have to idle before getting hot enough to actually lock up & drive.

Just trying all the little things at the same time.
I'm already going to have the coolers out to be cleaned anyways so I figure I'll add cheap fans anyways, way I see it, it could only help if anything & if it does not do anything then ohwell.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Cleaning will help a lot, I would do one thing at a time so you know what worked and what did not. I would almost put money on the fans hurting you at speed. That seems like a lot of boost and EGT to me, you sure something isn't going on like your vanes staying closed on the truck? Either something is going on with the truck or you are pushing it really hard

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Cleaning will help a lot, I would do one thing at a time so you know what worked and what did not. I would almost put money on the fans hurting you at speed. That seems like a lot of boost and EGT to me, you sure something isn't going on like your vanes staying closed on the truck? Either something is going on with the truck or you are pushing it really hard

That was just peak boost, I need to tow again & pay closer attention to all the gauges and see what's going on.

I'm gona pull it all and clean it good before I tow again.