Need help!!!!!

USMC_53

Jan 2, 2016
Eastern North Carolina
Ok so the other day I was driving my truck and the low coolant light came on I pull over and there is coolant on my passenger inner wheel well.. I popes the hood open and it it looked like it came out of the overflow tank, out of the overflow hose pointing foward! I could still see coolant in the tank so I drove home, started to look on the forum about these symptoms and looks like it's ether going to be hg or my injector cup lifted! I check my radiator hose the next day and it was soft not hard like every one says it would be, there is a slight haze but smells like fuel, been like that for a while need to get the rates anyway temp doesn't go up and down, doesn't overheat. Gonna tear it apart in a few weeks when I get back! Anyone have any pointers of what direction I need to go to troubleshoot exactly what it is before i take the valve covers off? Here's a little back round of the truck! Has around 270k got the trans built a few months back and built trans tunes.. it moved Any suggestions on where to start!

Kbagg

Oct 3, 2015
I (kinda) had the same thing happen. I was loosing coolant and also overflowing occasionally. I just had an injector job done by a poopy mechanic. One of my injectors weren't and would push exhaust into my coolant while running and leak water into cylinder while sitting causing occasional hydrolock and hoses to bleed off pressure.

Now I don't see that any work as done recently but sounds a lot like the symptoms of what my leaking cup was.

Maybe try running vehicle with cap off. Once it warms up and opens thermostats you should see bubbles in coolant...I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbagg

Oct 3, 2015
Injector wasn't torqued....sorry for forgetting that out

Frogman1

FROGMAN1
Aug 5, 2017
VA Beach
Coolant on the passenger floor foot well is from either a rusted/ruptured heater core up under the passenger side dash, or from one of the rubber heater hose/plastic connections breaking. That's not specific to your year, but general mechanical problems with cars from past experiences. Look there first and think about it's relation to you turning on the hot side heat/defrost/etc in recent times.

USMC_53

Jan 2, 2016
Eastern North Carolina
I (kinda) had the same thing happen. I was loosing coolant and also overflowing occasionally. I just had an injector job done by a poopy mechanic. One of my injectors weren't and would push exhaust into my coolant while running and leak water into cylinder while sitting causing occasional hydrolock and hoses to bleed off pressure.

Now I don't see that any work as done recently but sounds a lot like the symptoms of what my leaking cup was.

Maybe try running vehicle with cap off. Once it warms up and opens thermostats you should see bubbles in coolant...I did.

I've had the truck running and didn't see any bubbles in the tank

USMC_53

Jan 2, 2016
Eastern North Carolina
Ahh, passenger wheel well versus foot well. Still check the hoses that attach there besides the overflow tank.

Yea it seems to spew out only when I get on it! I filled it up and drove to the Walmart that's like 3 miles away and got it up to running temp and nothing happen so I drove it and on the way smashed the pedal and right before I pulled up in the parking lot there was coolant coming out of the overflow tank out of the front tube that's for the overflow maybe ?

USMC_53

Jan 2, 2016
Eastern North Carolina
I'll give that a try! But by cleaning the cap you mean like where the little springbor whatever is on the center and bottom side of the cap? I was looking at it the other day and there's a little piece that moves around is that supposed to ?

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I would definitely try a rad cap first. Cheap right. does your upper hose suck down after it's cool? Then does it build pressure in the hose right after starting?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just clean the rubber seals really good, and if you have an old toothbrush, kinda scrub the inside of the cap. They stop venting and symptoms like yours start. Worth a shot, as its cheap and easy.

USMC_53

Jan 2, 2016
Eastern North Carolina
Ok so I just got back in town today and opened up my reservoir cap and took a look at the inside and the little spring thing there was broken and looked all messed up.. so I went ahead and bought a new one slapped it on and filled the coolant back up to the full line, took it out for a spin and let it get to operating temp and no low coolant lights so once I got back and popped the hood no signs of coolant anywhere around the overflow tank and the coolant level looks the same!? Am I just lucky? For some reason I just don’t feel like that was the problem what you guys think