need help with a knocking sound

ccdmax

Oct 25, 2011
Hi guys was wondering if some of you would be nice enough to take a video of your truck at idle for me in the inside. because on my truck at idle with the stero off i can hear like a kinda knock sound of sort from the passenger rear side of the engine. i just want to know if maybe this is a normal sound in a duramax or what because im new to diesels and the duramax so any help would be great thanks.

Alliance1289

Apr 26, 2011
Do you hear any change in sound after it warms up?

Is it only when the truck is cold?

Have you recently changed brands of oils? Some oils are "noisier" than others, or at least I think so.

Is it a definite knock? Or is it more of a ticking sound. Mine has a light tick sound when cold starting, but goes away after about 10-15 seconds once the oil starts circulating.

Does it go away when you put a load on the engine? Put it in drive with your foot on the brake and see what happens to the sound.

Hopefully these questions will give you some things to try and also isolate the problem if there is one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ccdmax

Oct 25, 2011
no it kinda stays with the truck once its warm but i think the truck has a cheap aftermarket thermostat because it only goes to 190. yes i did i changed it from the oil that the dealer had put in it to amsoil 15w 40. well i think it is a knock sound cause it doesnt sound like the the typewriter tick and im not sure if it would be a fuel knock because the truck never smokes on start up or anything. and the sound stays with the engine until you get to about 35mph then u cant hear it anymore