Need Feed back about the BANKS products

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Banks sucks :thumb: Efi live FTW.

That is not quite true....Banks allows some amount of power adder and will still protect some of the parts-make sure to install the EGT with the speedloader. If you twist it all the way up, it will hurt the trans.

I agree that EFI is the best way to go (and would be my recommendation), but it is not for everyone.

It depends on the ultimate goal for the truck. If you know you are going to do the transmission, get EFILive. If you don't want to do a tranny, get the Banks, and NEVER go above Level 5-with an empty truck on level ground (this is no guarantee, but it will help save the trans).

My first limp was at level 5 on with a Banks PDA unit, but I had a slide in camper in the back, and was starting to pull a slight grade, trans made the loud clang, and I was on my way to the rebuild.

Is that clear as mud??:D

lobocharlie

Apr 10, 2011
Albuquerque
I was looking used, with both gauges. Just looking for alittle more performance in the city and when pulling a 21' boat in the Rockies at 7000 feet.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Towing a 6500# Airstream was no problems for my six-gun PDA on level 5, but the slide in camper did me in on the trans. It is kind of cool the way Banks will defuel on transmission slippage, but it can fool someone who does not know what is happening with the Allison.

My Banks was connected through the ODBII port, and when the tech plugged in the scanner, the Banks was disabled. The tranny was acting fine at the stock power levels, but acted up when I plugged the Banks back in. All in all, they are not a bad system, but they leave a lot on the table in terms of HP. You will want to get a larger exhaust to keep the EGT's manageable. The six-gun defuels on high EGT also, so with no exhaust system it will really back off the fueling.

To maximize the Banks, you will want to get either the Banks wastegate (big $$), or the PPE boost increase valve http://www.pacificp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=43 (a lot less $$) to get some more boost from your turbo to burn the extra fuel the Banks will be putting to the engine.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Had a Six-gun/speed loader back in the day. Thought it was great and then I got EFI tunes. Huge difference as others have stated. Banks six gun stuff IMO is for the diesel guy looking to get a bit more power but leave it at that. EFI is for those who plan on constantly modifying their pickup and adding power.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I was looking used, with both gauges. Just looking for alittle more performance in the city and when pulling a 21' boat in the Rockies at 7000 feet.

If you like Banks stuff and need an exhaust system, I have the Banks "monster" 4" exhaust sitting in my garage for sale....and I also live in ABQ

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
What about guys who dont want 700hp and just want a basic stock truck with alittle more go or maybe mpg?

The Banks Six-Gun will give you a little more go, but won't deliver the MPG like a custom EFI Live tune...A used Six-Gun with gauges is a decent way to go, but you could also get a single or 5 position EFI Live setup with or without gauges and probably be happier...

red1977

Nov 15, 2010
Ogden Utah
What about guys who dont want 700hp and just want a basic stock truck with alittle more go or maybe mpg?

I don't have 700 hp. I have 500 hp only when I want most of the time I'm in my 50 hp efi live tune, That is were I get my best mpg. To me banks sucks but that is my opinion. Its your truck do what you want but you could get a tow tune that will give you a little bit more power and mpg and still be safe for the trans.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
My Banks delivered on mileage. It was not as good as EFILive, but I had changed my truck significantly, and that is why I took the Banks off. I added the HTT and a mod CP3. The Banks could not tune the new hardware (get the most out of it). They do work great for a stock turbo.

Banks will give you more go, no doubt about it. Just be careful when you drive through the speed limiter in the ECU. I thought I broke the truck the first time it hit 95, defueled, slowed to 93, then slammed the fuel back on.:roflmao::roflmao:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
My Banks delivered on mileage. It was not as good as EFILive, but I had changed my truck significantly, and that is why I took the Banks off. I added the HTT and a mod CP3. The Banks could not tune the new hardware (get the most out of it). They do work great for a stock turbo.

Banks will give you more go, no doubt about it. Just be careful when you drive through the speed limiter in the ECU. I thought I broke the truck the first time it hit 95, defueled, slowed to 93, then slammed the fuel back on.:roflmao::roflmao:

X2. Lol ahhhhh the defuel memories.

Trevor79

Feb 20, 2012
I had banks. I just wanted a bit more power on demand, and everything protected. I had the ecominder with speed brake and IQ. It worked good for towing and just driving around. I did have problems with their plugs they used. They had bad connections at times. At first I was getting codes left and right for fuel and turbo. Then after the third time going through the plugs it was good. Them I was going to bring my truck to the dealer since I kept getting shift inhibit. So I removed the banks system, then found the truck was fine. I'm not going through the trouble to put it back on.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I'd go with the Predator. Very good tuner and a lot less money that the over priced Banks stuff. Also I've see post on the DP where people bought used or from another supplier than Banks themselfs and had lots of problems getting warrenty. Just look at some of Jbarkers posts over there.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I had a Banks six gun with speed loader on my old LB7. It worked flawlessly and added enough power on level 6 to limp the trans. Very smooth power delivery and great for towing. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one if my truck was stock.