Help: Need Engine Machining and Tolerance specs from the "builders"

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Good luck getting that gear off. You will need a lot of heat and I would buy a new gear then.

To Henry's defense, I did use a pane torch on each side to help get it to swell outward some before pressing it off. I didn't use a whole lot of heat though. I put pressure with the press and then used heat till it popped (didn't take much). I had to press the gear on to the other crank and I used about the same amount of time heating on it as well.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
To Henry's defense, I did use a pane torch on each side to help get it to swell outward some before pressing it off. I didn't use a whole lot of heat though. I put pressure with the press and then used heat till it popped (didn't take much). I had to press the gear on to the other crank and I used about the same amount of time heating on it as well.

My build was a budget build only keyed front 2. We only tryed pulling the gear off not pressing. The ones I have seen people take off you can see we're they used a lot of heat and I would of never reused those gears.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Keys

With the tight fit I also agree you probably don't need to key the front but it could never hurt. I don't think HP has anything to do with the pin failing as much as the up and down in rpm to will kill them. I also think if it's never been apart(water pump,balancer) it's a lot less prone to fail.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
There is nothing the natter with keying the Crank gear but it isn't going to break the pin that's there. If youve ever taken one off you will understand why.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Disagree. I've seen stock motors with tuner only shear crank and cam pins. It's a relatively inexpensive job at a machine shop. Why wouldn't you?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

If you stick the gear in the oven for an hour or so at a couple hundred degrees, it will drop (literally) right onto the snout of the crank with no pressing or hammering.

Sledheadxp800r

That was only my tow tune
Dec 13, 2010
CT
If you stick the gear in the oven for an hour or so at a couple hundred degrees, it will drop (literally) right onto the snout of the crank with no pressing or hammering.

A toaster oven usually works pretty good for heating press fit gears. Makes it a breeze to install them. 45 minutes at 450* works mint. As Ben said they pretty much slide on. This is also the correct way to install them.

Last edited: