My new HSP 3" IC hot side pipe

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I can't imagine there would be much difference in measured temps wrapped vs unwrapped. It's not like the air is spending much time in the pipe.

Time spent isn't really an accurate argument. If that was the case, manifold/hot pipe/turbo blankets wouldn't help with efficiency/heat retention either since the air spends even less time in those parts. I'm also not trying to argue that it's a MAJOR difference but why spend the money on something that with extended run time has a negative effect?

If someone was concerned about the engine temperature warming up the air in the intercooler wouldn't it be more beneficial to wrap the cold side pipe once the airs already been cooled?

Eventually the wrap will become heat soaked and work against that theory. Only time I really think cold pipes should be wrapped is after a water to air intercooler on a limited run time vehicle (drag/sled pulling). Any other time it's not the best option IMO.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I can see how heat wrapping can hold in heat but doesn't painting/powder coating do the same thing. I know we all love to make our engine bays look like eye candy. I remember a lot of old school hot rod guys telling me painting the block, heads & etc actually holds in heat instead of disbursing it.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Ultimately the margins that everyone's is talking about is so small in any direction that it won't make a bit of difference on a IC pipe. Good looking stuff Jason. HSP's stuff really looks fantastic, now tell us if it fits:)

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I can't imagine there would be much difference in measured temps wrapped vs unwrapped. It's not like the air is spending much time in the pipe.
X2 agreed, ^^^^this^^^^

If someone was concerned about the engine temperature warming up the air in the intercooler wouldn't it be more beneficial to wrap the cold side pipe once the airs already been cooled?
Did that too:D

Yes that's the point we are trying to make. That is "if" the cold side pipe was colder than the air outside or it (engine, ect)
Lol, My engine IT's are typically a few degrees from ambient and I've actually seen lower, yes measured from the Y-bridge in live time, yes under 8-12psi, over that and IAT's gradually get warmer, however I can go out and run W.O.T thru 6th gear, slam the brakes get out and hold my hand against the y-bridge and it will almost always be cold, at the same time the hot pipe is truly hot, too hot to comfortably touch, way to hot to hold my hand on

Time spent isn't really an accurate argument. If that was the case, manifold/hot pipe/turbo blankets wouldn't help with efficiency/heat retention either since the air spends even less time in those parts. I'm also not trying to argue that it's a MAJOR difference but why spend the money on something that with extended run time has a negative effect?

Eventually the wrap will become heat soaked and work against that theory. Only time I really think cold pipes should be wrapped is after a water to air intercooler on a limited run time vehicle (drag/sled pulling). Any other time it's not the best option IMO.

Thanks for the response Levi:)
So concerning extended run times...about the only time I can think this would apply to is when towing, wouldn't you agree? Towing up a pass or even just driving up a pass, it's the only time I can think of where you'd be under boost for "indefinite" amounts of time. Really when you think about it, even in daily driving conditions you're not under boost making extreme heat all the time, just for moments....
Right:confused:

Ultimately the margins that everyone's is talking about is so small in any direction that it won't make a bit of difference on a IC pipe. Good looking stuff Jason. HSP's stuff really looks fantastic, now tell us if it fits:)
I'm not worried either way, but I had a few thought about it, I'll share knowing it'll probably stir the fire a bit, I've got some seals for the coolant and oil banjo bolts for the turbo on order, so I'm actually waiting to install everything right now...I thought I'd be able to access them with the turbo installed, but I don't think you can and it's not worth it to me to try, so I'm waiting....I still haven't received the turbo blanket yet either so it's not all that bad to wait to put "everything" in at once;)

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
COCOAL's delusional thoughts:rofl:
:hug:

Well, when it comes down to it, I did it for looks:D and started like this...
I wanted a lil more bling under the hood a while back, and decided to polish the stocker and liked it really well. It gets scratched really easily and taking it off a few times took its toll, for this reason IMHO painting it would be worse, So I decided heat wrapping it would give me a different look and be resilient to the procedure of R&R. :thumb:

:hmm:I had an hypothesis that keeping "all" the energy (including the generated heat) in the system would benefit overall potential energy/peak power, I also figured that with the hot pipe being in such close proximity to the manifold that wrapping it would keep heat off/out of it when EGT's are high, but let's face it guys, my theory is probably flawed, and even if wrapping the hot pipe "does" have an overall effect either way, I'd bet it's barely noticeable at best as Levi thinks it's pointless....

That being said....and for those who know me, from this point...this is one of my famous rambling and pointless ideas you used to love...so stop reading now or read on then dig in and tell me how dumb I am:eek:
:rolleyes:

The "hot side" pipe gets really hot when you're making boost, so for strictly keeping engine bay heat down IMHO its a sound idea:thumb:

Here it comes...
...now I thought about the principle of loosing heat before the intercooler with the tube bare, I thought "hey, it would yield a cooler air charge as an end result" as it's loosing heat directly to the engine bay pre intercooler and, as a side effect forcing less work to be done to the charge air within the intercooler to cool it in the intercooler...

Well, that also got me to thinking, heat is energy, and keeping it contained within the system it's working or being made in sounds like a theoretically "good" principle to work on.
So based on that idea, even though compressing the air makes heat, and the charge air is hot as it leaves the turbo, that action or "energy taken" to compress the charge air made that heat, heat is also a form of energy, so in an effort to maintain "all" that "energy" that came out of the charger as it travels to the intercooler to become cooled and dense and readied for the engine intake, just sorta makes sense, to me...

That's when I got to thinking about the heat the manifolds might radiate onto/into the hot pipe when the engine is under load/boost, I figured keeping that heat out was a good idea, as it was made outside the charge air system. As a result of the this effort, I figured the overall potential of the charge air system and effectiveness of the intercooler would be greater, lending to a more efficient system

Yes, you're keeping heat "in" the system and forcing the intercooler to do slightly more work, possibly lowering the charge air's overall potential, however I suppose you're keeping velocity up as well which should help...

All in all, I'm just looking to maximize efficiency in any and every respect/aspect I can, no matter how nominal (to an extent) as I believe doing so who will benefit the "system of systems" working under the hood. :angel:

Did any of that make ant sense
:confused:

:roflmao:

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I felt the same way when I bought a 3" banks tube years ago thinking I'd actually feel a difference:roflmao: was better off saving the $$

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I personally would t even spend it on that either but it's better than a slightly bigger pressurized tube lol. They way I see it is at 30psi... Your not going to see any changes in anything. You want to think you do because you spend 150$+ and expect a difference. Jmo..

The only reason why I would buy a aftermarket intercooler pipe is to delete the factory 90* boot on drivers side.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I personally would t even spend it on that either but it's better than a slightly bigger pressurized tube lol. They way I see it is at 30psi... Your not going to see any changes in anything. You want to think you do because you spend 150$+ and expect a difference. Jmo..

The only reason why I would buy a aftermarket intercooler pipe is to delete the factory 90* boot on drivers side.

You can't deny the butt dyno, and the satisfaction of spending money...:rolleyes:
Placebo, brotha:roflmao:

Yeah, I'm not expecting, or claiming that I want any gains from this mod. Really, I wanted to get rid of that 90* bend, and I figured it can't hurt and would compliment the upgraded turbo and extra boost pressure/volume it moves.

Some guys have claimed that the larger IC tube will drop egt's, give better throttle response and make a lil bit more noise, maybe so, the only "professional" input I got about the mod before the purchase was from Larry @ Danville, he said "it can't hurt" lol, honestly....I bought the upgraded tube just cuz I wanted to....:joker:

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Got it on and the actual fitment is flawless, perfect, astounding:thumb:

Getting it on......, damn, what a tight fit, I literally had to shoehorn the turbo boot onto the hot pipe with a pry bar, and I used a thin coating of bel-ray grease on the first inch of the inside of the boot...

Yeah, I'm a nice guy, lube it or lose it (or loose it:D)

But, Joe/Dave, dudes, the turbo clamp was too small bro's:mad:
Luckily, I had others ;)

Anyways, nice work fellas, fantastic fit, I look forward to getting more stuff from you in the future
:happy2:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Here's a pic:

mw8f0h.jpg

Here's a pic of the intercooler connection...

It's crappy, I was so eager to put everything back on I didn't think to take a pic, and my hands were filthy:rofl:

2f04mro.jpg

Last edited:

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Not to knock your work, but grease on a turbo boot is a horrible idea. Hope it works out for you though. I use a pick type tool that is bent in a 180° shape. Makes easy work for putting on tight boots. Sell them at harbor freight for $5

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Not to knock your work, but grease on a turbo boot is a horrible idea. Hope it works out for you though. I use a pick type tool that is bent in a 180° shape. Makes easy work for putting on tight boots. Sell them at harbor freight for $5

Well, normall I'd agree, but it ain't commin off, and I didn't use enough to create a "flash fire" :spit:

Just a tiny thin film to help the boot over the hump;)

But thanks for the advise:hug:
:thumb:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Read AFE install directions step 8 , "lightly coat inside surface of 3" DIA. silicone hump coupler with new/clean oil" needless to say I do not do everything I read. Had mine blow off Saturday after installing a tune, that is one F***** up sound when they blow off at about 2/3 throttle, oil residue from the PVC is the culprit. Going have to replace the boots so may as well buy a new tube along with the boots.......:D.

Attachments

• AFE boost tube.pdf
    306.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: