My Motor Build

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
The truck leaves next week and I'm getting excited. Figured it was time for a build thread. This went from a stockish re-build to a full out performance build real quick. All work is being done by Caleb at Blackout Performance with me helping out as much as possible. Machine work is being done by KMP Performance and it's not their first Dmax.
My goal is to able to run the 12.0/11.90 class and not have to push the truck very hard. When its turned up the whole way with enough fuel it should be capable of getting close to 1k rwhp and run into the 10s.

This what we decided is going into the build:
Mahle MotorSports cast pistons w/ valve reliefs
Carrillo Rods
ARP head & main studs
CompCams "medium" camshaft
CompCams valve springs & retainers
Keyed cam & crank
Full Balance
ATI Damper
Clevite H bearings
New water pump
New motor mounts
New oil pump
BorgWarner B375 T4 .90/87/3.0
RDL Castflow headers and up pipes
Same 40% nozzles that I've had for now-getting them flow tested
2x Cp3 & 100% nozzles sometime next summer

That should do it! I'll keep this updated with pics. I cant wait to see what piston failed.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
DSCN1852.jpg

Damage report coming soon.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
DSCN1862.jpg

Cylinder #3. The walls looked good. Nothing a quick hone wont clean up. Also appeared I had a bad head gasket on the drivers side. Guess that explains the random coolant loss. Now we play the wait-for-the-machine-shop game.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
That cyl had an injector go bad in it at one time... correct chris? notice the eroding, melting around the top right edge of the piston as well!

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
How long did it take to remove the engine? I wish we had a drain plug on the radiator, as I've been totally covered in coolant before pulling that lose lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You should have used one of the I/C tubes to direct the coolant into your pail. ;)

"Shit happens" with the cracked piston. Not real surprised to hear the head may have been lifting, either. At least it isnt anything worse.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
That cyl had an injector go bad in it at one time... correct chris? notice the eroding, melting around the top right edge of the piston as well!
Yep. That hole had an injector go bad in the summer of 09. Had a bal rate of +13!

Damn man all the way across... Good luck with the build!!

Thanks Justin.
How long did it take to remove the engine? I wish we had a drain plug on the radiator, as I've been totally covered in coolant before pulling that lose lol

About 9 hours.

You should have used one of the I/C tubes to direct the coolant into your pail. ;)

"Shit happens" with the cracked piston. Not real surprised to hear the head may have been lifting, either. At least it isnt anything worse.

I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Good deal chris. sounds like bulletproof setup. gonna keep that piston for a momento?!

I hope so Isaac! I dont want to do this again.
I'm definitely keeping it.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Good to see things are in motion Chris :thumb: I'm looking forward to seeing it run this coming year. BTW I found a few videos Kayla took of you running at Numidia this summer.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Good to see things are in motion Chris :thumb: I'm looking forward to seeing it run this coming year. BTW I found a few videos Kayla took of you running at Numidia this summer.

Its gonna be done before I know it. I'm taking some stuff for coating tomorrow.
That's cool. I don't have any vids of Numidia. My camera girl was plagued by a migraine that day. You have them on Youtube?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
A few updates.
Got the injectors back from testing and found out there are 3 bad ones. #1, 3 & 5 are shot. #3 is the hole that cracked the piston and its also the injector that I replaced 2 years ago when I got bad fuel. The injector was a reman from Proformance. We ordered 3 brand new ones from Industrial because I'm not playing the reman game again. The other 5 will get replaced in the spring.

We switched the cam & springs to Hamilton. Still going with the medium cam. It has a little more on the exhaust side to help that big turbo light.

Motor should be back from the machine shop next week! :woott:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
A few updates.
Got the injectors back from testing and found out there are 3 bad ones. #1, 3 & 5 are shot. #3 is the hole that cracked the piston and its also the injector that I replaced 2 years ago when I got bad fuel. The injector was a reman from Proformance. We ordered 3 brand new ones from Industrial because I'm not playing the reman game again. The other 5 will get replaced in the spring.

We switched the cam & springs to Hamilton. Still going with the medium cam. It has a little more on the exhaust side to help that big turbo light.

Motor should be back from the machine shop next week! :woott:

I didn't think II could get new injectors, and only had remans